Solidworks

Discussion in 'Software' started by dreamer, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Hello Folks,

I just recently became an Applications Engineer for a Solidworks integrator in Minneapolis. I know not many use Solidworks for hull design, but you may use it for part design. I would like to get some pro/con feedback from anyone in the field using this software on a regular basis.

I would be especially interested to hear from those who DO use it for hull design.

Thanks,

Rick

2. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

I am not a pro designer but I use it as I don't know yet how to use some other progs.

It is kind of tricky, from time to time you have to find a workaround to get things done.
    For now it is SW2001 and I think it is a bit out of date. I think latest SW will have better features? But indeed you can do almost anything with it.

Greetings,

3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Thanks for the feedback.

Current version is 2005 (go figure)

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Can you tell us about people who have used SW for yacht design? I know the One World ACC Team were featured as SW users. It sounds like they might not have used SW for hull development.

I can tell you that it is a bit tricky lofting to a point, like the bow of a boat. I'm continually ending up with hollows in the waterlines forward. It seems doing a Surface Loft is better than a Base Loft, but then thickening is a problem since the two surfaces overlap in the corner created at the bow.

It is also a bit frustrating trying to loft a deck off of an existing hull, since the sheer is a non planar surface. Ditto the cabin house on top of the deck If you want to add that, then knit house and deck together.

Finally, I find it impossible to loft or Sweep a keel foil section that is curved on the leading and trailing edge at the same time (as most high aspect sailing rudders are, and many keels as well).

The boat models I did in the 17 foot keelboat discussion are all SW, with PhotoWorks rendering.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1978

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

You should be aware that there is a major effort in software development for second tier shipyards. See www.nsrp.org.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.