Software for sail boats

Discussion in 'Software' started by phillipviana, Dec 19, 2009.

1. phillipviana

phillipviana Naval Architecture and ME

Hello everybody,

I will graduate just in 2011, until there im wondering learn a lot of software about Naval Architecture and Naval Engeneering. I love sail boats, Yachs, Cataramans, double hull...
    So i would like to know if someone know what is best softwares about those kind of ships.
    :idea: :idea:

thanks
    Good Winds for everybody

2. frank2526244

frank2526244 Junior Member

U mean Hydrostatic, Hydrodynamic, Structure Analyze, or Design software? Software is not important, the key point is solid theory background.

3. phillipviana

phillipviana Naval Architecture and ME

U bet u right!! Last week, we had a talk about AVEVA, thats a software for many things u can handle, like design, structure...
    But the guy just mention your software for offshore area. And i prefer , i dont know the exactly word in english, but is kind of wooden boats and composites...
    I heard the maxsurf is awesome, but here in Brazil. Id like to know if in Europe, New Zealeand, USA that program is most used for designers.

4. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

Rhinoceros, Autoship and maxsurf is mostly used software for the design of yacht , catamaran ,ships etc.
    , and AVEVA MARINE or FORAN or NAPA are mainly used for the Large vessel's design. their price is also very high.
    and yes, to choose your software , u should consider the purpose/or what u need actually and the type of vessel you gonna handle..

5. aleutka29

aleutka29 Junior Member

Don't forget about MultiSurf. The ability to make quick changes during any design phase can be a big time saver.

6. Iven_Zhang

Iven_Zhang New Member

Rhinoceros, Autoship and maxsurf are better software for yacht, etc. However these softwares are devote their mind in forms and naval architecture calculation, not good structure, outfitting, electrical, accommodation. So it is more cheap.

7. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Freeship - it's free!

8. aleutka29

aleutka29 Junior Member

MultiSurf

MultiSurf Solo is not free but it does com in less that $1K retail, which makes it competitive to the software mentioned above.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.