Software for producing CNC cutting files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tussock, Nov 3, 2014.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I wonder why ?

3d packages do 2d as well as 2d only does - unless its something crazy like Sketchup

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

When it comes to cutting flat pieces from a metal sheet or a wooden panel, makes no need to work with a set of 3-D CAD, which are much more expensive. Any 2D package is sufficient to define and prepare parts nested.
    From this point of view, do not need a specific software to create CNC files as cutting machines can read dxf or dwg files or igs. A different thing is if you need to watch the movements of the machine, calculating cut lengths, void movements, time needed for each operation, % waste, etc. In this case you DO need a special software.

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

No, most 3D packages including high end stuff like Pro-E and SolidWorks actually are not good drafters!. They generate the 2D information quickly but are not as good at generating a clear 2D production drawing IMHO. You get reasonable professional results in a reasonable time and yes it is quick if you change the 3D model etc, ie parametric updating etc. Something like Autocad LT is a better 2D drafter than say Rhino and can achieve better results. Rhino is a good 3D surface modeller with 2d added on.

I use something like that, a professional, supported product but faster!. Each to their own preference. Try a rail carriage in 2D with almost every component bar the bogies and wheels - takes 3-4 times longer to just load the drawing in LT.... longer still in other packages....;) Yes, I timed it for reference. Plus the livery drawings all plotted 25:1 (A0) in full colour, with carriage names on etc.
    At the time refurbing a car was 1/3rd the cost of building new.
    It is way quicker than Rhino for drafting so that is my choice. As long as I can get the info across packages with no loss, or very little loss (maybe Dimensional Styles? - what a waste of time as a concept), no problem.

I'll own up, I've never used Sketchup, but have imported the files into Rhino from clients and had to recreate NURBS models etc. But the OP could use something like Intellicad, or even though I don't like it much Turbocad. but forget the 3D version!.

TANSL is right, unless you can generate G code, have CAM software where you can generate the cutter path and preview etc most 2D packages have enough tools to get a useable file to the CNC. Rhino is very good as you have such fine control of the polyline/arc segments, it always has had great translators.

4. Tussock

Tussock Junior Member

5. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

No,and I can't think why I would.There are lots of ways to generate G-code without going there.Google .dxf to G-code for some possibilities.That is if you have good clean .dxf files to work from.

6. Tussock

Tussock Junior Member

What if you were starting with a table of offsets, rather than a file?

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In that case, you have a lot of work to do before worrying about the files for CNC.
    You will need a software to draw the frames, to draw the "fairing", to develop the plates, to define internal parts of the structure and, then, for the cnc.

8. Tussock

Tussock Junior Member

Ok, thanks all. It looks as though my employer will spring for some training in Rhino, which may be the most useful package to learn for some long-term benefits. There goes my summer evenings though! :)

Thanks to all who responded.

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

You could start by going through the training documents and examples available for free download at http://www.rhino3d.com/learn
    User's Guide
    Level 1 Training Manual
    Level 2 Training Manual

10. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Good result!Once you have made the first steps,you will wonder how you managed without the advantage it provides.A whole new way of working will become available.

11. Tussock

Tussock Junior Member

Yeah, it looks like an amazing tool. Those training manuals are followable but there's a lot o learn. Apparently yacht designers were involved in development of Rhino. Thanks all!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.