Software for Dummies

Discussion in 'Software' started by silentneko, Mar 7, 2014.

1. silentneko

silentneko Senior Member

Is there a very simple software out there, hopefully for free or demo, that is really easy to use and shows water flow like a model in a tank? I hate to say it but CAD is over my head and Rhino just baffles me. Google sketchup I can do a bit with, but that just does the shapes and doesn't show how the hydrodynamics work. I wanted to try out a few small designs I have in my head, especially how the tunnels will work.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Unfortunately (maybe a good thing when you think about it), there's no "Cliff's Notes" version of the software packages available for design, development and testing of these shapes. There's just so many variables, a simplified package will gloss over things that are way too important. Lastly, I think it's important that you do understand the principles, dynamics and physics involved, so you can design a safe, reliable and predictable boat. Simply put, if the software has you stumbling, you'll not like the realities of actually making yacht design decisions.

On the other hand, you could just do it the old fashion way and make a few models and test them for efficiency, drag, maneuvering behavior, CG and CB locations, etc. Elementary tests can be easily devised, once you put your head at it and good results can be had. The Wright brothers didn't have squat when they started and they managed to build an aircraft, after several models and knowing absolutely nothing about it, when they started.

3. silentneko

silentneko Senior Member

Thanks, I understand much of what is needed and I usually go the scale model route. I was hoping to avoid building another flow tank and models this time cause all I am testing is pocket tunnel shapes for a skiff that's 16-17'. The math and hand design I can do, figuring out how to use the software....not my strong suit.

4. PAR

If you understand the concepts and principles, then take the time to learn the software. I learned by hand and though it does take some adjustment, you'll fall in love with the software pretty quickly, once you can manipulate it. If you don't have a solid grasp on the principles, then yes, just sticking with the home made flow tests (I've done them in running streams) and models. FWIW, you'll pull your hair out at first with the software, but stick with it, as you'll (eventually) get a handle on it and things will change, trust me. If an old fart like me, can go from slide rules and ruling pens to computers, you can too.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

CAD software including Rhino does not show anything about how water flows. It is only a way of creating geometry.

Rhino just baffles me - What do you expect Rhino to do for you? Have you systematically worked through the Rhino tutorials (Getting Started, Level I, Level II)?

6. PAR

I have a worker that is trying his best to muddle through the assorted low cost and free programs. His knowledge is pretty good, considering experience, but he's really struggling and I can see how it will be for others. I just got lucky and fell into it pretty easily, but it's generally not an intuitive thing like other packages. Most can pick up a photo editing program in an a few minutes figure out how to remove red eye, for example, but CAD packages are a different animal, regardless of how dressed up they are (my first was DOS command line prompt based). I had a full head of hair, before I took on computer design. Not so much now.

Flow dynamics, VPP, etc. can be added on, as you build skills, though these are often base package dependent. I don't use Rhino, but I suspect add-ons are available with this package too.

7. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Tricky one. 2D CAD is pretty simple with the right package - I reckoned we could get a novice ie never drafted on CAD but paper conversant, drafting commercially in ten minutes. 3D though is different and depends a bit more on how you think in 3D too. Rhino takes some beating as the easiest 3D CAD program out there with excellent help files menus not over sub nested etc. It is not as easy as 10 minutes though. However 3 days working on it will dramatically improve ones knowledge and will get real results. Then you just keep learning more capabilities, that are in the program.

Still use models and prototypes though and reverse engineer some stuff, that is just reality.

Don't worry PAR, I can still remember loading HIMEM and configuring DOS to run the CAD package!. S'pose the difference is I still have a load of hair!.

8. PAR

Lucky ***** . . .

9. silentneko

silentneko Senior Member

Thanks guys. 2D designs are cake in most programs, I just have trouble visualizing 3D stuff on the computer. I guess when I find time, 3 days ain't gonna happen for a while, I can go back through and try to learn from the start again. Ultimately though if they won't show me flow dynamics then the models and flow tank will do me much better. Time to get some plexiglass and a pump.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.