software to develop "diagonal" surfaces?

Discussion in 'Software' started by boatbuilding, Feb 25, 2005.

1. boatbuilding

boatbuilding New Member

which software can I use to develop 2D surfaces from a 3D hullmodel? the surfaces are running diagonal across the hull (alternating layers at approx. 45°) like it is sometimes used for strip planking (but without paralell edges) or could moulded plywood construction. they are about about 10-15cm wide, so there is quite a few of them. can anyone help me?

2. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Check out TouchCAD. You can apply several layers of patches in any direction, even add overlaps parametrically if you have such needs.

www.touchcad.com

3. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but I thought that with building cold moulded and using strips of 10-15 cm you don't need to develop the separate strips? Am I wrong??

4. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

There is no such thing as dumb questions - only dumb answers! This may be one:
    Developing the strips isn't necessary. However, you might end up with a slightly better finish if you do. But it won't be cheap...

5. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Soren,

Thanks for your kindness. Would it really matter if you develloped the strips? I have my doubt! The strips are so flexible because of their size that you would have no problem with fitting them flush next to each other, I suspect. And you would have to sand the last layers anyway.

6. boatbuilding

boatbuilding New Member

thanks for your replies. you are probably right, it doesn´t not make much difference whether the surfaces are developed or not, but my primary focus was on how to design the shape of the stripes in an software, because I don´t want to use parallel stripes. so far I only found software that has a plate design/developement feature for "longitudinal" plates, not for "diagonal" plates, and I try to avoid attempting it with something like autocad.

7. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I do this in Rhino: Section the hull and make a developable servace between two sections. If the difference in volume between the developable "strip" and the real surface is smal enough I sa "OK", and develop the strip to 2D. Using this method I will end up with fewer strips than if I settle for 25cm for all. The strips are cut with a laser and the cost for cutting is approx 50% of the material cost.

8. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Forgot to tell: I think two layers of plywood strips 90 degrees to the centerline is the fastest way to skin a modern hull with small longitudinal curvature. The angel between each strip is so small that almost no sanding is neccesary, much, much less than in traditional strip planking (bead and cove).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.