Which software can I use for wave patterns?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sizzurp, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

sizzurp
    "..My question is just if there's any software to calculate wave patterns.."
    There are plenty about (for the type you are looking for), but are they accurate, is a totally different matter. That comes down to the how's and why's, not the pretty pictures.

There has also been a lot of work done by the MCA in the UK on wash and also by Whittaker et al, Dand et al, and Kofoed-Hansen et al.

You may find the attached of interest, not widely obtained. These are generally more for the "mathematically" minded that do research in that field.

Attached Files:

2. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

For now, it don't have to be very accurate. I don't need to know the exact height of waves, just want to compare some hulls. It's just a little research before I start.

And thanks for the recommendations.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

sizzurp
    I'm confused. If you're not worried about the accuracy, what difference does it make which software you use? Without any kind of validation, the answers you're going to get, as a sensitivity analysis, will be no better than any other software, and just as inaccurate as each other.

It is somewhat akin to using a saw, to hammer in a nail...you can do it, but not very well...and not every nail consistently, nor easily.

Just questioning your rationale in using a method that is not consistently accurate for all applications (non of them are), for comparisons, doesn't make sense. From a research, phd, perspective, but from a layman's perspective, it is fine...

4. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

I meant: I don't need to know (for example) the exact wave height on a mm.. I just want an easy in use software for my first calculations. And not a program were I need to know every little detail for the input.

5. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Michlet will allow you to quickly compare simple hullforms like a Wigley or a parabolic strut. You can also see (far-field) wave patterns of multihulls with up to five demihulls. See the example section in the documentation of simple cases for catamarans and SWATH, trimarans, tetrahulls, SLICE, and pentamarans.

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

And a little more reading material for you...

I know you aren't specifically interested in the resistance aspects, but check out some of the high form factors in the paper by Molland et al. 1.47 for a catamaran!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  7. yipster

yipster designer

1 person likes this.

8. formsys

formsys formsys

The Hullspeed module in the Maxsurf suite of software uses a slender body method to calculate wake waves and resistance for slender hull forms.
    http://www.formsys.com/maxsurf/msproducts/hullspeed
    The attached picture gives an example of its output.
    There are more technical details in the Hullspeed user manual in the download section of the FormSys web site.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.