Software advice for J Class inspired hulls designs

Discussion in 'Software' started by yachty4000, Apr 10, 2004.

1. yachty4000

yachty4000 Junior Member

Any advice on which software is best to use for creating J class style hulls! I presently use Maxsurf and i've got the most hideous net I've every seen. The front end easy its trying to do the near vertical keel / rudder end with the large aft overhangs. The only way I can see is to write an excel spreadsheet create the surface the old fasioned way using nodes in Rhino or solidworks but there no way back into Maxsurf suite for Hydromax!

By using mutiple surface I can get something that looks about write but its not really fair

What software evryone else out there using to creat these modern day derivates of the J's

2. Mario

Mario Junior Member

I do not know which software is the best but I recommend Kus-SHDM, that runs inside AutoCAD 2000 or newer one, to try it out.
    Basically it generates the hulls for fast sailing boats. You can export that hull in Maxsurf ' Prefit by text file (program inside Kus-SHDM) and after to Maxsurf Pro.
    There is also possibility to put a hull from Kus-SHDM to Rhino.
    Kus-SHDM can be downloaded from www.kus.hr

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

yachty4000
    Try making a fair hull (no keel), then adding a keel/rudder afterwards. Then export to Rhino and create a blend for the two surfaces. It works well, and you CAN create the finished surface you want.
    HydroMax? Sorry, mate.... You would get a fair approximation using the un-blended surfaces, but not dead-nuts accurate.

Steve

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Something like the enclosed image? This is a 15 metre design currently being restored in the UK.

Maxsurf can do these hulls, but I agree it is hard - they really are one of the hardest things to do within the constraints of a 4 sided NURBS surface.

The top image with the control point net showing should give an idea of what the net layout should be, but it does mean you are restricted to quite flexible splines to get the hardpoints required.

Now that Maxsurf has the ability to maintain tangent continuity across surface boundaries it may be easier to do this as three or four surfaces bonded in an "L" or "T" configuration, however I haven't tried this myself.

regards

Andrew

Attached Files:

5. yachty4000

yachty4000 Junior Member

I'm impressed I've created trimarans with fancy floats and fancy beam no problems on maxsurf but this has been hard. The ability to import back into maxsurf suite even with no ability to alter the shape would be useful so I can use hydromax the blending in rhino is a nice suggestion.

Andrew thankyou for the picture very useful to see the net I'm going to try and create a similar net. I have to say i've created a net similar to this its hard to fair because of the flexibilty you have to use. On my third attempt I created it in two sections one for the aft overhang so the new version of maxsurf with tangent continuity would probably work. (I use 8.5.)

P.s. think the boat moored close to me on the hamble river having it rig comisioned after a two year restoration its an old M class.

Andrew great product shame I had to leave my beloved apple mac but the increase in developments between realease has made this more than acceptable. All my present work is done on Maxsurf, Foil 32 and Solidworks.

Anyone using other package for this specific type of design with good success.

6. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

7. yachty4000

yachty4000 Junior Member

cheers Andrew for the time. Finally found some time for myself and copied you net it works a treat. Most of the curveture rendering look hidious but this is just the way they are. It looks like a J Class although getting accurate entry and sections along the keel is hard but its further than I've managed with any other software and the hull shape certainly give hydromax somthing to think about GZ curves are very different to modern yachts.

This is definately the hardest thing to model bar a few tanker bow arrangements. couldn't have got this far without the JPEG. Mariquita is the boat I was hinking off looked pretty doing its trials in the solent and now its gone down to the med

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.