Simple Hull design

Discussion in 'Software' started by ted655, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Is there a software for hull design that is for the NON engineer. I had one that had X,Y,Z,L1,co (z ), aww hel, was I over my headl. Itried putting in values as best I could but it came with no primer or directions (it was free of course). What I ended up with was a shape that looked like a wax hull that melted. Very pretty abstract art but nothing that woul float! I guess you get what you pay for. Anyway, if there is something reasonable out there that uses plain boatbuilding terms for entry values, let me know. :mad: :rolleyes: :D :D

2. fede

fede Senior Member

try one of these,some are free some are cheap.

Bearboat
    BioDesign
    Carene 40 / 50
    Carlson Design Hull Designer
    Hull Form Free Version
    PolyCAD
    SDN
    HullCAO

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Ted,

I'm currently working on a package called LMH. The basic idea behind it is that you build the hull you want out of one or more surfaces. LMH will then do simple hydrostatics, complex hydrostatics (at a price), and a resistance analysis (again,not free). I also plan to add a sail driving-force calculator, but this won't be free either I'm afraid.

However, what you do get for free is a simple to use Hull Design package that will do simple hydrostatics, develop lines plans, and export to various other packages. Most of this will be included in V1.00 (alpha) when it is released, the rest will be in V1.10 (alpha).

LMH is developed in Linux, but I can do a quick port to windows if that's more convenient for you.
    Check my webpage for a few screen-shots.

Cheers,

Tim B.

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Yes, 'ol bill Gates has his hooks in me. Win. XP is my opium. I have you bookmarked, thanks. Ted

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.