Seeking advice for Michlet

Discussion in 'Software' started by Erwan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

I am a new poster, and would like to understand how to use Michlet (Thanks to Léo for his great work).
    -I cannot get access to the ? help fonction.
    -After "saving as" a file from the examples file into the in.mlt and run the .exe, I could not get out with the y command, and impossible to reopen the .exe , actually it seems to open only for half a second and shut down immediatly.
    I am probably sucker boarder-line, using this fantastic tool, so any basic advice are welcome.

Thank in advance for your kind consideration

My project is to design and build a formula 18 catamaran, I have got the name already : GodzCat 18

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Thanks for your kind comments, Erwan. As you see, Michlet is not an easy program for beginners.

The reason that you cannot get Michlet to start is probably due to the input file being so badly corrupted that the program cannot process it. There are several possible reasons. Did you save the in.mlt file (and any other files that are needed) by using a plain text editor that saves in ASCII format? Or did you use Word?

Have a look at the "out.mlt" file and "mlt.log" to see if there are any clues to why your input is incorrect.

If you still have problems email me your input file.

Regards,
    Leo.

3. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Thank you very much Léo, in the meantime I delete Winedt from my computer and use Note Pad instead, and it seems to work very well.

One question please, in order to take into account dynamic lift, do you think it is relevant to run Michlet for different single speed, changing the displacement and sinkage according to the dynamic lift computed on another spreadsheet.
    It is for a A-Cat hull shape comparison, these Cats have a very small displacement / lenght ratio.
    If you know any interesting workpaper for semi planning hull, I will be very interested.
    Thank you for your help, your Michlet is really a fantastic tool.

Regards

Erwan

4. Leo Lazauskas

Bad move, Erwan! Winedt is a great editor, you just need to make sure that files are saved as SCII or ANSI. I thought that you might have been using Microsoft Word, or other program that saves files in binary format.

Michlet allows you to do that already. You can specify the sinkage and trim as a function of speed in the input file. Unfortunately it is a bit inconvenient because you must specify these quantities at the (static) LCB of the hull. If you are calculating them in a separate spreadsheet it shouldn't be too difficult.

Work through the example files "leaning.mlt" and "flying.mlt" for how to raise and lower hulls as a function of speed. Those examples are for trimarans, but you should be able to work out how to do it for catamarans and monohulls.

Good luck,
    Leo.

5. grob

grob www.windknife.com

I understand that Michlet is for thin ships, Do you have a feel for how "thick" you can go and still get good results?

6. Leo Lazauskas

I have answered your question in the Boat Design Forum. See the thread titled: University project: Multihull wave making drag.

Cheers,
    Leo.

7. patrik111

patrik111 Junior Member

Hello Erwan,

I'm planning on something quite similar but for a 20ft cat. This is going to have the Tornado Sport rig but new hulls with underwater shape created partially by Godzilla. I bought new sails( one year old) yesterday and are looking forward very much to designing the hulls.

What sort of optimisation will you do?

For what speed? weight and so on.

Please tell me all about it.

Best Regards

Would be really interesting if you could keep this thread updated with the progress of your project

8. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Well, the master Leo has guided you and nobody is better qualified than he is. Me, i dont even use a word editor, i just double click on the file and edit the contents as is. Remember to save the file.

Also if your input is in conflict, say you are designing for a 12 to 20 meter hull but if your ship constraint input is still below 12 meter, the file will not open or will flash only for a millisecond and refuse to open. ALL YOUR INPUTS MUST NOT CONFLICT WITH EACH OTHER.

The program is solid. You can do hundreds of design studies but when you go back and enter your original inputs to the file, it will give you the same exact parameters it has calculated before.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.