Rhino3d- Generate traditional and complete lines drawings?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Robert Miller, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

Two questions about CAD... (briefly dealt with previously in another thread):

While the 3d models of my designs are nice things to produce, there are two aspects of lines drawings that are absent from this, and other, CAD packages:

1. Most striking is the absence of diagonals.. both in presentation, but more importantly, in having the benefit of using diagonals in most clearly visualizing and analyzing water flow past the hull. Diagonals may also be the most important lines for fairing the hull. Representation of this analysis by diagonals exceeds, I think, what we can learn form sections, buttocks, or waterlines. It seems that I really never see lines drawings done with CAD in the traditional "time honored" fashion we are all used to seeing.

2. It is my opinion that in the present incarnation, "unfolding" of panels, planks, etc. to allow accurate patterns, or CNC files, is superior in TouchCad to Rhino or other common packages. Comments?

Robert

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Yes,

1) It's a little more work to make the diagonals in Rhino.
    Stations, waterlines and buttocks can be made quite fast with the command Contour and two clicks withe mouse (starting point and direction) and entering the distance between.
    Diagonals have (as far as I know) to be made one by one, withe command Section (and two clicks). Then you have to rotate the diagonals into a plane for presentation.
    It's not a very big difference, though...
    RhinoMarine automate both tasks with "dynamic sections" in every direction you want.

2) I hired Claes (Lundström) to unfold a round bottom of a small boat. He did it faster in TouchCad than I could do in Rhino. But I still work in Rhino because it's easier for me, it's very much like AutoCAD that I have used "always".

3. mick_allen

mick_allen -

make a diagonal cplane (set the view wrt to it) to whatever angle you want and the contour command works as before.

4. Raggi_Thor

OK, I thought that each diagonal would be in different planes, to make them near right angled to the hull surface. Then I would look at the hull along the x-axis and uste the section command...

5. snakefeet

snakefeet Junior Member

My first thought was to draw diagonal lines in a plane parallel to the body plan and then project (curve -> curve from objects -> project) those lines onto the hull surface.

6. Raggi_Thor

Yes, that's neat, and when you change the hull you only have to run the project command once on all he lines.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.