to Rhino users...

Discussion in 'Software' started by michal, Feb 28, 2002.

1. michal

michal Junior Member

After a few days of working with Rhino demo version I am really impressed of its power and precision..and now thinking only about money. But there is one important funcion I have looking for and can not find so far: possibility of input weight to surface or group of surfaces per unt area for construction material(plywood, glass, core etc.) to find "real" LCG or VCG. Ihope I am just blind...am I?

Thanks for any comments.... Michal

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I didn't know the answer to this question myself, but I was very curious since Rhino is on my to-learn list. I asked both McNeel & Associates and Cliff Estes who has created the hydrostatics add-on for Rhino.

The bad news is that it looks like this ability does not currently exist, but the good news is that new plug-ins are in store. Rhino is getting better and better for yacht design!

I don't think Cliff will mind if I post his full reply here:

3. michal

michal Junior Member

Big thanks to You Jeff...

4. BHays

BHays New Member

Weight estimating

We are the developers of the PHASER plug-in for Rhino, which does both hydrostatics and stability. It computes hydrostatics for any number of waterplanes, or an overall weight and cg. In addition, it will compute righting arm data for any range of heel angles, and plot all of the data in Excel.

We have had requests for this type of input, and plan to respond in the near future. You can find out more about Phaser at http://www.proteusengineering.com/phaser.htm.

Best Regards,
    Bruce Hays

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.