Rhino/Solidworks hull modeling

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattbyrne, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mattbyrne

mattbyrne New Member

Boat building using CAD is new to so please help me/bear with me.

I purchase some plans for a 28' gentlemens runabout and am in the process of producing a full set of cad drawings. Here's my plan. Use Rhino to produce a solid of a faired hull. Import the solid into solidworks, where I will create all detailed part(frames, keel, stem, etc). My intent is to have parts machined on CNC macine.

At present I have managed to produce a surfaced hull in Rhino. I am having the following issues - I have created 6 diffrent surfaces 2-bottoms, 2-sides, 1-Deck, and 1-transome surface. When I created the surfaces I use 2-rail loft. On the bottom and the deck between the 1st station and where the lofting rails come to a point, Rino didn't create any surface. The surface stops at the last station. Am I using the wrong sufacing tool? Should I be creating one surface for the entire bottom?

When creating the curves for the frame stations and the keel, chine and sheer profiles, what type of curve(tool) should I be using.

How much "Fairing" should I expect to do when taking offsets from professional plans?

Once I have the solid inportedinto Solidworks(if this is the correct process) How do I slice the solid at each frame so I can get an outside profile of the frame.

Can anyone give me a quick relality check on what I attemting? A quick overview of the 3d modeling process would be nice also.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Cian Groves

Cian Groves Junior Member

Hi Mat,
    A couple of things that I do when using Rhino for marine designing.
    1. Reduce the amount of curve control points to a minimum (both long. & trans.),which are used to make the hull surfaces to achieve the hull form you are after.
    2. To check surface fairness use surface analyses tools & traditional method of projecting curves through the hull to product sections.
    3. When trimming & joining surfaces check polysurface for bad objects.

In your case it sounds like you are wanting to define a hard chine vessel, as you found out 2 rail sweep will produce a surface between your defining curves only. You may want to experiment with network surface. Degree of fairing is up to you?, sometimes it is easier to make a half model. You can also determine the trans. frames/bkhd by projecting a curve onto the surface of your hull.

Hope this helps and I have explained myself plainly enough.

Cheers,
    Cian

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.