Rhino Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by CET, Dec 4, 2005.

1. ilgazcan

ilgazcan Junior Member

hi every boby ..
    i can develop to surface with unrollsrf command.But if i join two surfaces ,unrollsrf command doesnt develop these surfaces.how can i develop to joined poly surfaces?
    thanks..

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

You have to make one surface.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

ilgazcan,
    UnrollSrf only works on single surfaces, and it's really only good for those that are developable or nearly so. A polysurface made up from developable surfaces must first be broken into its parts using Explode, then you can unroll each of the exploded segments separately. It's sometimes best to copy the polysurface to a new layer or file before doing this, especially if it's made up of many components that would be tricky to re-join.

4. ilgazcan

ilgazcan Junior Member

raggi thor and marshmat very thanks for your informations.

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Back to CET

There is a tutorial online that links to the the Rhino site.....

http://www.tutopedia.com/tutorials/rhino3d/modeling-a-sailboat.aspx

This sounds pretty close to what you want to do. I don't know if it's the same tutorial as in your manual.

There are a couple of options in regard to creating a developable surface. John Teale's book "How to Build a Boat" show's a geometrical approach to creating a developeable surface and could be done in 2d with Rhino. I don't know how acurate the method is though. The second approach is a little more involved. From your initial lines you could create a table of offsets to build an import file for FREE!ship. Import the file and create the hull model to match the imported lines. Freeship has a Gaussian curvature mode that will help you check for fairness and it also has a function that analyzes the developability of a panel and gives you the flatplan dimensions to boot. Plus the added benefit of hydrostatic calculations for the hull.

Goodluck

I forgot the last step.

Once the hull is modeled in Freeship, the lines can be export back to Rhino via a set of DFX polylines.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

One nice "trick" is to draw the longitudinal curves that define one developable surface of the hull first, AND to let these curves continue over the centerline in front of the stem. This is also descirbed in a tutorial, maybe in "Modelling for the marine industry"? Say you want to make a simple v-bottom hull with just one chine. Draw the keel, the chine and the sheer. Let all these curves be "too long". Then make two developable surfaces between the curves and trim against the centerline at the stem.

This is just one possible method of course.

7. CET

CET Senior Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the information the members here have provided. I've received answers to the questions I posted, and plenty more! Thanks.

8. ilgazcan

ilgazcan Junior Member

how can i create different colors surfaces in rhino render.how can i describe colors of the surfaces within rhino render.thanks...

9. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

There are two color colums at layers: color and material. Pick the material and choose the color for it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.