Rhino, graphic error??

Discussion in 'Software' started by henrikb, Dec 16, 2004.

1. henrikb

henrikb Senior Member

I get som irritating trimmed surface re appering. Even if the surface is deleted, it still shows in some viewing angles!
    Se attached picture, port side of transom... :confused:
    Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Yes, one of those of the trim command, try "Shrinktrimmedsrf" command, and see if resolve the ghost issue, why is happening? how??, got not idea, not too into find why with "trims"

I hope it works, it has happen to me before.

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Henrik

Which version are you running? are you trimming laterally with "use apparent intersect" or do you generate another surfae and trim with that ?

I find it best to work one side then mirror the lot, that way you get no bilateral errors.

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

"Which version are you running?"

V2 The reliable one.....just kidding, I'm not upgrading yet.

"are you trimming laterally with "use apparent intersect""

I don't quite understand your question, I will say, in relation to your picture, that I will trim the surface on "left or right view" using a line for reference if is not a polysurface.

"do you generate another surface and trim with that ?"

this will be my second choice, in a situation like this one, I think I will go just drawing a line in space, with the angle that I need and trim the surface, what is happening to you right now is not a big deal, a trimmed surface it will keep it's information always, i believe there is new maths (ways of represent a trimmed surface) and they don't do this (keep the info of the original surface) but going into that detail is too much for me, i just make it work and that's it.

"Trim" works in a mysterious way, not only on rhino but in any other software.

And about work one side of a model, yes...that's the way to go

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

sorry i jump in

6. ndias

ndias Junior Member

Hi folks

Recently I bought an grp hull of a lifeboat (7.30 x 2.42 x 095 m) and did some plans to convert it to a gaff rig cruiser.

I've did all the drawings.

From books Chapelle's and Yacht Design from Larson's I did soem calculations.

CAn one of you kindly help me if u can put my data on maxsurf or similar software and see what can I achieve?

I used 3 books: Sail Magazine (article about stability), Yacht Design and Chapelle), and came out with diferent results.

sincerely

ndias

7. henrikb

henrikb Senior Member

I all!

I am running the 3.0 version.
    Yes, I have shrinked the surface, but the controll points dont seems to line up with the end of the trimmed surface anyway, seems to go half way only, but maby that´s normal?
    The surface was trimmed by a curve that I projected onto the surface.
    The funny thing is that it only shows in some angles and some degree of zooming!
    Even if I delete the surface completly, it still shows in some angles! :confused:

8. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

Henrik,

I've had this same problem from time to time. If you select all, and export selected as a new Rhino file, then open that file, it should fix the problem.

-ClarkT

9. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

deleted surfaces

My favourite is when a surface you've deleted later appears when you're milling the object! :mad:

Phil

10. Hans Friedel

Hans Friedel Senior Member

Sounds scary Phil I have't had that problem the people who are milling our kayak plugs are using IGES files. But sometimes I have had problems with trimed surfaces and hidden surfaces But not any big problems. I am using Rhino 2 but I am thinking of upgrading to Rhino 4

Dont you se the deleted surface when you prepare the milling file??

Hans

11. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

This happened to me once, I never saw the anomaly in Rhino 3, when it was transfer into my CAM software it kept appearing. I stumbled onto ClarkT’s fix, I haven’t seen this since.

Gary :D

12. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

Not necessarily. I use VisualMill for generating the milling routines, and 90% of the time it works really well with native Rhino files. The other 10%... well, sometimes I have to generate a mesh in order to get the proper curves or my nice foil sections will revert to coarse polylines, and sometimes it just plain gets it wrong - such as surfaces showing up that you think you've deleted. VisualMill doesn't show a detailed wireframe of the object so occasionally you aren't aware of an error until you've actually gone and milled it.

Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.