Question about damage stability

Discussion in 'Software' started by yuyewuyuconan, Nov 28, 2009.

1. yuyewuyuconan

yuyewuyuconan Junior Member

HAlf years ago i began to use Compass(a chinese class societies' software ).I think many friends dot konw it ,but the way of the damage calculation is the same .IN compass you should putin :
    Ls,ds.dp.......Lgp(center of gravity distance from ap when d=dp).Lgs.Vgp(center of gravity distance from BL when d=dp),Vgs...
    dp=d0+0.6(ds-d0),
    when d=dp
    how can i konw Lgp&Vgp
    wheather i can thing the ship is no trim Lgp=Lbp(i can get Lbp in hyd)
    but the Vgp is not know ...any friends can help me ? thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

I assume you have a design you're working on. But it's pretty much useless to asses the damage stability in a stage of your design where you don't know the VCG.
    Are you working on probabilistic damage stability?
    In that case VCG is initially calculated from a loadcase at design draught.
    After the first run the GM is reduced to a minimum in a number of calculations so you carry as much cargo as possible throughout the ships life.

If your calculating deterministic damage stability the VCG is already known.

3. yuyewuyuconan

HI Martijn_vE
    i am working on probabilistic stablilty.
    why you think that loadcase is calculated?FOR example :a oil tanker(only carry one kind of liquide) so i only should calculate 6 loadcases(In CCS rule )
    1.FLD 2.FLA 3.PLD(one team of tanks _max free surface ) 4 .PLA 5.BD 6.BA.IN these loadcases on one is d=dp ,dp is not design draft.

4. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

It make sense to first calculate the loading conditions prior to check the probabilistic damage stability. It will give you a good indication for the initial VCG's needed for the damage stability calculations. After this initial guess you can lower or raise your VCG's depending on the attained index.

5. yuyewuyuconan

Thank you!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.