Q: How to create a single curved surface in Rhino for Plywood planked Yacht Tender

Discussion in 'Software' started by JAK, May 29, 2009.

1. JAK

JAK New Member

Hi,

I am in need of some help.
    I am using Rhino as an architect for some years now, so I've a certain (decent?) knowledge of it.
    I am trying to draw a 11' Yacht Tender by Paul Gartside in 3D, which I'd like to then build with the help of a 3-Axis CNC router.
    The boat is planked with 3 strakes of plywood, which of course can not have a compound curvature...
    I can easily create a surface for the garboard, the way I usually would do, with for example "sweep 2 rails", but that's of course compound curvature...
    I worked with the Rhino Marine Tutorial, but the way it describes how to loft the garboard for their skiff, didn't really help at all.
    (Quote: If you have never done this, it probably won't work...)
    I was able to loft a surface along a chine and the centerline (extended into negative space as per tutorial) but A) I am not able to precisely hit the stem rabbet and B) it's a compound curved surface again...

Could anybody explain to me how you'd create a garboard surface intended to be plywood / single curvature???

I really don't get it, and it drives me nuts!

Thanks!

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

You might try curve network or edge curves, making sure both ends are straight. There is never a perfect solution. You have a lot of give and take, draw the surface, extract the lines, fair the lines, check them against the numbers, adjust, redraw the surface, …………………. Then you have to flatten them and check for more errors it’s frustrating and not easy to turn someone else’s design into CNC files.
    Gary :D

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

4. nero

nero Senior Member

5. JAK

JAK New Member

Thanks everybody for the input.

I'll look into it and try again.

Does anybody have experience with Rhino Marine?
    The Hull design plug-in is $595...wonder if it is very useful?

Once again thanks.

J.

6. JAK

JAK New Member

bhnautika,

I quickly downloaded the DevSrf tool, and it seems to work pretty nicely,
    have to look in more detail at that surface, only did a 2-minute test during lunch, but I can't believe it! Looks good!

Thanks!

J.

7. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

If the plans have offsets for each chine you could draw the curve of the chine in profile view and in plan view and then use Crv2View to create the 3D curves. Edgecrv or Sweep2 should create the surfaces once you have the curves.

I have not used Devsrf but if it works go for it.

RhinoMarine or Orca probably won't help much for creating a small multi-chine design but would be useful for hydrostatics. Of course since your boat has been designed by a good designer you should not need the hydros unless you drastically alter it.

Joe

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.