photo realistic is old...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sean Herron, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Is there anyone out there doing weird things with their 3D software - like paper doll cutouts - pictureframes in Rhino with curves traced to a BMP that cast weird shadows to a hand made render room...

Anything - anything - other than the photorealistic 'every man and his dog' - ******** - that no one believes in anymore...

Some CREATIVE presentation of the boats and their owners...

A boat in a bowl of soup with a fly...

Come on - this photo realistic bit is getting very old - very fast...

Yet I do respect those who pursue same...

Anything - post it up...

SH.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Waiter theres a boat in my soup. Thats ok sir it belongs to the fly.

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Fly got a boat? I dont understand... I thought a fly is a thing you lock people from viewing your inner beauty?... Maybe?... I not have very good english sir... My sorry yes? :D:D:D

4. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

Part of the trick is to provide something that can surprise and interest people who see it.

I think that hand rendered sketches might be the new exciting and innovative way.

All I need is a 2B pencil and the fax number of half a dozen magazines!!!

Let me at 'em!

MIK

5. yipster

yipster designer

i rather have soup on the boat as a boat in my soup but understand what you mean
    renders are a good way of showing a idea, photo realistic beeing the best i think
    see thrue, layers, animation and/or interactive and lots of other tricks can be used
    in a wrist watch advertising some yacht sails on the edge of a waterfall
    in another thrue the sahara but forgot what smart adverting text explained it

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Whats wrong with a photograph of the real thing. How can it be not good enough.

More advertising trickery.

7. yipster

yipster designer

right, one of the dumbest time consuming things i often see
    is foto realisticly redrawinging reality instead of taking a picture
    for virtual designs i think the process is perfect tho
    i gave some criple crummy examples but the other half
    is indeed advertising, sex beeing one of the "tricks"

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry Yipster, but while men are men & all other things remain as is, SEX SELLS ! sorry to shout, too lazy to italicise

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Attached Files:

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Mike, well pointed example. Aside from my posting on "sex sells", That thread illustrates that point succiently. I can see dickless plebians flocking to the seller, drooling in anticipation of fulfilling their sexual fantasies.

In earlier drinking days we would post ourselves comfortably at a corner to watch the deprived in their fat tyred, noisy exhaust, lowered show cars pass to our taunts of a crocked little finger. One driver took offense and yelled that he did not have a tiny dich, reved the engine, squealed the tyres in a burnout. Right in front of a police persuit car. Strike one!

11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Mike,
    I wouldn't be surprised if McNeel's "Penguin" non-photorealistic rendering engine and others like it are behind many of these apparently hand-painted concept images (although I suspect there are still a number of flesh-and-blood artists doing this as well). Photo-like CGI is getting to be the expected norm... so a client's attention is caught by something different. Even if that something different is a painting done the way they were not so long ago.

12. jorghenderson

jorghenderson -

3D drawings as basis for hand sketch

3D Models can provide a good starting point for a presentation sketch.

Many design projects need a 3D model anyway for purposes other than making a presentation drawing. So when you have one you can use it too find a nice viewing angle for your presentation, get the perspective right, check the shading and light on curved surfaces and fill in those pesky details that take so much time in 3D by hand. In this way even artistically challenged can make stunning presentation sketches.

It looks like the interior picture above was "constructed" this way.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont think anyone would buy a boat because it had a bird on the front. What ***** would think she came with it.

However whilst flicking through the pages or whilst wandering through the boat show,-- it would attract your attention.

Once I had decided to buy the boat I would ask her to get of off it before she scratches it.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Too many meet that criteria. Look at the many marinas where seldom do they go out. Look like sexy go machines but do little but park.

There is one that goes out occasionally on weekends for an hour or two, which I call "wallowing wally" as seldom above 5 knots don't know where he is going (wanders randomly in the swell).

Come for an adventure to get your licence and be amazed and appalled.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I resemble that remark,--literally. I have'nt been out in my 24 knot cat since April.

But im definately going out next ----eeerr soon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.