Orca3d opinions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sc0, Aug 19, 2009.

1. sc0

sc0 Junior Member

Just looking for users that have opinions on Orca3d. Are many of you using it? How do like it?

I used it last year while studying at the Landing School, so am fairly familiar with it... now just trying to decide whether it will be the right investment for me in terms it's hydrostatics and hull-form functionality. I've been watching their blog lately looking for news on another release but it's been a few months since their last update now...

Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks -Scott

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

It's basically the same package as Rhino-marine by the same developers. Rhino-marine has been very useful to me.

The full capabilities extend to hull generation and materials weights and moments but I use it as an analysis tool for stability and hydrostatics. The benefit is having it integrated in the package you are designing with.

Yes I'd definately recommend getting one of them; Orca or Rhino-Marine.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Mike,

When the guys who started ORCA left the fold, didn't the parent company of RhinoMarine stop supporting the product? I thought I heard something along those lines last year, but have not pushed into the topic very deeply.

1 person likes this.
  4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I don't know Chris. It's still for sale and thoroughly debugged and I cross tested it comprehensively with our 'heavier' packages with good correlation. So I havn't needed any support.

sO I'm saying that I have RM and it's wonderful and Orca is based on the same package so it wiill be just as good and will probably be developed further with things like damaged stability and free surface (maybe).

So if you are buying anew get Orca yes.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Mike
    Which "heavier" packages are these?..if you don't mind me asking?

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Of course Our default standard here in Australia is Hydromax from Formsys we get shot using anything else :)

I also have access to most packages at one time or another depending on who I have been contracting to and what they have in-house.

I also have used Fastship and I just remembered it is the same developer as rhino-marine but stand alone. So whats happened to Fastship and the FEA Maestro etc from Proteus. Looking at their site it's all still supported so I presume Rhino-marine will also be since it's simply a portion of fastship ported to Rhino.

Guillermo had some issue recently with slight 3 degree ultimate angle of stability differences in the static stab curves between packages which put some of his vessels over the edge for certification. Not sure if they resolved that.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Mike

Thanks.
    For my stability stuff, i use Wolfson, have done for 20years and my FEA i use Cosmos/M for 16 years...which is now sad integrated into Solidworks i believe...i prefer the stand alone.
    Although this situation may change as i am now slowly about to get to grips with Paramarine...from what I've seen first hand, so far..truly amazing stuff.

8. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I have sold a few Orca packages to Norwegian consultants and builders. They seem happy.

1 person likes this.
  9. yipster

yipster designer

10. Chris Ostlind

Yep... Yip, (I've been waiting to say that)

You will need to have Rhino 4.0 to get ORCA to work. RhinoMarine will work with 3.0 AFAIK, so there is an avenue for you. I haven't tried this, but an evaluation copy of Rhino 4.0, once installed, may be able to get you an evaluation copy of ORCA.

Let us know, will you?

1 person likes this.
  11. yipster

yipster designer

orca

i was for my turn than couse you cleared it better. orca looks good allrite but i'm taking it ( too ) easy studying maxsurf, inventor, ansys plus even more programs allready, so dont wait for me
    now i know how to, i gave Ad Hoc, you and whooz some positive points, after all we all like boats. btw Two Harbors, Catalina is a caribean paradise island yes?

12. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

Yes.. Correct you are.. ORCA runs well with my Rhino 4 SR6 ..
    And you visit there website to download ORCA3d 15 days evaluation copy,they will email you the link for downloading.
    Nice to use Orca after Using rhinomarine.. good

thanks

13. Chris Ostlind

Yipster... Catalina is one of the Channel Islands off the coast of Southern California. It sits just 26 miles off the coast right near Los Angeles. It is a surprisingly unspoiled place, even though it is within easy reach by recreational boats. There are two "cities" (more like small villages, really) on the island. Avalon is the largest and has the look and feel of a Mediterranean seaside town. Two Harbors is at the other end of the island and is whole lot more primitive and also quiet.

The island used to be totally owned by the P.K. Wrigley family of chewing gum fame. Back some years ago, most of the isalnd was deeded over to the Catalina Company Conservancy and it has pretty much remained undeveloped as a result. The other Channel Islands are mostly owned and controlled by the National Park Service and are likewise, primarily undeveloped. There are several small herds of buffalo which roam Catalina. They are culled for population every couple of years, but it is not a cattle operation as one would know it.

The southern-most island in the group, Santa Cruz, is a naval gunnery range and only Navy and scientific research people are allowed to go ashore.

14. yipster

yipster designer

not to spoil the thread, i must thank you Cris for that nice elaboration, thought it was caribean
    lived in SF / santa cruz in the seventy's and never looked at those islands looking good in google

1 person likes this.

15. sc0

sc0 Junior Member

Wow... I head out sailing for a while and come back to 10+ replies regarding Orca!... and a few more about some nice islands... ;) Thanks very much for the feedback guys! I plan to buy Orca soon and use it in conjunction with Rhino/Solidworks. Thanks!!

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.