Opinion about AQWA

Discussion in 'Software' started by aelvira, Feb 16, 2012.

1. aelvira

aelvira New Member

Hi to all,
    I'm a new user, I have read various posts and I think it's a really helpfun forum.
    I'm writing to have sosme opinions about AQWA software ( I have read that some of you use it).

I'm an italian PhD Student looking for a software that can simulate a floating offshore wind turbine.

I would like to compare experimental results about floating wind turbines with the results of a good software simulation.

I have never used AQWA or ANSYS so I ask you:
    - Has AQWA a good and detailed manual with some tutorials and examples?
    - Has AQWA a friendly graphic user interface?
    - in your opinion, how long need to get familiar with the code and to prepare your own case study??

thank you very much

aelvira

2. CWTeebs

CWTeebs AnomalyGenerator

AQWA is a seriously useful suite of solvers...once you know how to use it.

The learning curve for me was about four months to learn every single module (AQWA-LINE, LIBRIUM, FER, NAUT, DRIFT, FLOW and WAVE) simulating everything from hulls, barges and wave energy converters. I also took a training class in Houston, TX USA.

It's not yet fully integrated into the ANSYS Workbench front-end with an intuitive point-and-click interface. It'll take another couple of years for it to achieve that state.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.