Old boatplans of Hurley 22 needs to be surfaced in Rhino, will this method work?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chirpingler, Jan 24, 2015.

1. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Chirpingler If you are using loft use the “tight” style to get a better fit. As Tansl suggested “offsetsuf” also you can put in a temporary surface as a deck then make it all a solid then use the shell command using the deck as the deleted surface or you can offset the original lines then loft those to create the inner surface this is a good method if you need to vary the thickness.

2. Chirpingler

Chirpingler Junior Member

Yes, I now tried the tight and it works better. It gets distorted at the transom altough.

[​IMG]

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

It maybe better to treat the transom as a separate surface and split the waterlines at the corner

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I agree with bhnautika, if instead of using a single surface for the hull, keel and transom, you use multiple surfaces, you will get much better adapt to the real forms of the boat.

5. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Rhino uses Offset Surface where you can define the distance + or -. It does not have a Shell command in the same way as say SolidWorks. You may need to trim surfaces after shelling as the offset surface will be perpendicular to the original.

The transom would definitely be more accurate a separate surface. Just join to the hull using the fillet or maybe variable fillet command.

BTW those are not Section lines they are the Waterlines. The Section lines are transverse ie across the hull.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It is difficult to create surfaces through specified points in some software such as the popular FreeShip and DelftShip. This problem is inherent in the mathematical formulations those programs used for surfaces. FreeShip and DelftShip are frequently discussed on this forum, probably because they are free. That might lead to the erroneous conclusion that most software used for boat design behaves in a similar manner.

However in software such as Rhino it is possible to create surfaces through specified points. Rhino also has a simple command to check how close surfaces and curves are to points. Other software has similar capabilities.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I tried several naval programs, all payment (all very expensive), all very good and all with great difficulty mastering surfaces and to get pass them through the desired points. I'm not saying at all that is impossible, what I say is that they require a great job by the user.
    The major problem occurs when we try to reverse engineer.
    The distributor of one of these programs advised me to use Rhino, to make the models and then export them to his application.
    To me this situation is totally unacceptable and should be a lot better solved by some of large companies creating naval software.
    Rhino, in this case, is not perfect but at least it's cheap. The only fault I find in Rhino (which for me is final) is that some naval architecture calculations can not be done with it. Furthermore, no utilities for making graphs and drawings, list of results, of a project.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.