Obtaining heeled waterlines in Freeship

Discussion in 'Software' started by lewisboats, Oct 7, 2009.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

This is from a post in the Design Forum but I think is useful enough to have it's own thread here. The essence of the post is here but the entire thread is "What's become of Plyboats?"

Well...with the meager tools at my disposal (Paint) and the obtainable views that I have been able to come up with so far...You CAN combine them up to a certain point...that point being that the centerline cannot be out of the water. DUH! If the centerline is out of the water then the rest of the hull is too...stupid!

Anyhoo...here is the result at 15 deg of heel...

[​IMG]

The bottom is the windward side...the green is hull bottom out of the water, and the top is the lee side. Seems to work! It isn't perfect but it is pretty close...enough to give you an idea of what it would be at heeling angles

How I did this:
    First...Save it as a different file! Then extrude the keel line up to the highest part of the boat to get the leakers above the waterline. DON'T do this AFTER rotating as you will be extruding at an angle to the hull! Deselect all then Transform/Rotate and rotate along the longitudinal axis...+ numbers will give you the lee side and - numbers will give you the windward side. The boat is going to rotate around the LCF so things are going to look a little weird in the bodyplan view. Deselect the Show control net button so the points disappear. Use the perspective view to get a plan view along the centerline looking down and right click and save image. Do the same, starting with the original and saving to another file name and tilt the hull in the opposite direction by the same amount. Open one file in your image editor of choice then flip, copy and open another copy of the editor with the other image, paste and line up the images.

Thank you Ancient WiseMan...for pointing me in the right direction! :D

Edited to add: you might want to fiddle with the color scheme to get the best results for seeing the waterlines

2. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

nice but still dose not give heeled hydro info

Attached Files:

3. lewisboats

Baby steps...Baby Steps...

4. yipster

yipster designer

i've also been heeling hulls in free delftship in another easy trick fashion that looked good but had no hydro results eighter tho

5. lewisboats

Aaannnndddd....where are the pictures...the description of how to do it hmmmmm??...Weeeee're waaaaiting...(tap, tap , tap)

6. yipster

yipster designer

aii, before posting i did check free + delftship files but no... probably saved in another file and like the guy who asked their gone :rolleyes:
    have to think how i did it, simple and good pics i recall, hmm.. later today i think + look again ( knew you would tap :D )

edit: ok found this and without redo it looks like i mirrored and rotated and it does give hydro, i just wasnt sure and still dont thrust its correct after the tricks
    have to check into that again, as it would be very nice eh

here what i found

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  7. frank smith

I am ending up with some very strange catamarans

8. lewisboats

Thank you for that...so do you think you could give us a step by step when you have a chance to recreate what you did? If you mirror the hull half, does it automatically connect the two together or did you have to do something to it to have them joined? If you have the boat flat and level and it comes up with the same displacement as the original then...making a leap of faith...I would assume that heeling it and adjusting the waterline would provide the same results.

9. yipster

yipster designer

really wanna hear all bout my late sixtys phycadelic san francisco nights?

looked again and dont think it can be done, i was after changing bottom profiles under heel and for that it was usefull

indeed very strange cats in lineplan and devellopment and altho i havent alzheiemer yet i dont recall how i did it
    and doubt -even remember a thread (i think)- it can not be done in this program

do remember thinking of CFD or wat mitchlet would do with heeled hulls, hmm..

10. frank smith

load layers , mirror ,select all layers at prompt,mirror in vertical plan , rotate in vertical plane, adjust draft ,
    get picture .

11. frank smith

I tried this , Mirrored the hull added new layers of mirror half , then moved boat off center line and mirrored it again , this gives you two boats . now delete one boat ,
    and move other back to center , now rotate .

frank

12. yipster

yipster designer

frank, i didnt use layers but if you get the wanted result thats okay
    geez, even forget now what it takes to place flowlines, button stays grey, hmm..
    want to give these flowlines a try and see if the flow changes under heel?
    see what the hydro does heeled and give us a call or look plz?

inventor, ansys, maxsurf AND delftship now calling and of all things i'm watching tv
    affraid i''ll never going to be a good yacht designer..

13. frank smith

I think you can design a boat in you mind if that is all you have . I not to good with computer programs, nor do I have a great understanding of boat design .
    Guess Ill have to trudge along best I can .

I use freeships to help in building a data base of a kind, and i like 3d views .
    I am sure that if you wanted a simple boat that you could design it on freeships and and have the panels printed out , and build a boat from them.

Anyway, could not find any way to get heeled stability info out of freeships .
    If there is a way it would be good to know about it

14. yipster

yipster designer

i agree and delftship is a great way to visualise and obtain data on these fantasys
    ok rtfm* again to check the flowlines button, they'r so nice and easy placed but will they show heeled flow?
    frank, your hull must be closed to give hydrstatics, but compare results in heel
    btw, maybe i only rotated and hope i did not scare lewis away :p

*read the fuckin manual ( but tricks as discussed here are not in it )

15. frank smith

if by flow lines you mean "diagonals", then you have to set it up using the
    the icon show buttock ,waterlines ect.

I did not know there was a manual.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.