Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Rep: 179 Posts: 1,203
GaoTeng, you've attached some very nice figures but, apparently, the program ignores the "correction court," does not leave a gap between the parts, which makes it totally unacceptable. Am I wrong in something?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSL View Post
GaoTeng, you've attached some very nice figures but, apparently, the program ignores the "correction court," does not leave a gap between the parts, which makes it totally unacceptable. Am I wrong in something?
Yes, you are right. I didn't set the part space in the above samples. but this function is available in the software.

The following are some nesting sample with a gap, you can control the gap in software.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 AM

Rep: 179 Posts: 1,203
Now it seems more correct. However, I have to put two objections:
- The gap between parts is not constant which makes me think that the software does not automatically set, but you have put it by "your hand".
- Is inadequate the nesting of small parts in large parts lightenings. If software does it automatically, is should be avoided.
Regards
Old 12-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Did you try Dgnestpro?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 PM
The Loftsman

Rep: 41 Posts: 91
Driving Nails!

I would tend to agree with you if I was in a benevolent mood, but guess what I aint, as an aside we did not use hammers in Scotland you just drove it in with your head...
I think and forums are not the best means of communication to get a point across, I was more on about the fact that any CAD Jockey can use this software without even really having to know what they are doing or even trying to achieve and I have seen the results of this first hand where plates have just been nested with no checks or balances and the end result goes to-gether like a pound of mince and results in that terrible word in any shipyard "Re-Work" but the nested plate had less wasted material or so it seemed!
So I am all for all types of tools which can produce a good result but still think that there is the need for experienced shipbuilders to ensure that it is not just the machines that are producing.
You put crap in and you get crap back out just much faster now.

Cheers
Remember "Knowledge not passed on is Lost"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoatGuy View Post
Why would you use your hand to drive a nail when you can use a hammer?

Nesting software is just a tool, like any tool, and if it does a good job with the "push of a button" and saves a few hours why wouldn't you use it? Or at least ask if it was available like he did.