Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Natural modes ANSYS AQWA 17.1

Hello everyone!

I am designing a pontoon with a set of mooring cables in order to carry out a fatigue analysis of this. To do it, I think that is necessary to find the natural model of the system in order to obtain the biggest displacements of the structure and hence, the biggest tensions in the mooring cables.

I have obtained the fundamental frequency of the pontoon without taking into account the set of mooring cables through ANSYS AQWA, however I don't know if it is possible to obtain the natural mode frequencies of the system. Does anyone have experience in this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM

Rep: 40 Posts: 128
Initially I started to explain in detail what you need to do but then I stared to believe that you do not really know what fatigue life is ... I do not want to insult/offend you but I think you need to first read on the subject. I would recommend the following:

DNV-OS-E301

Design Practice for Mooring and Floating Production Systems

Understanding Fatigue for Deepwater Mooring Systems

BV Mooring Systems