modeling full keel hulls

Discussion in 'Software' started by turnbuckle, May 11, 2009.

1. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

Just wondering what the general consensus is for modeling full keel or modified keel hulls.

Is it best to model them separate and join them or ad several rows of points to a round hull?

FWIW, here are the lines I'm trying to model (Alberg designed Pearson Triton):

Attached Files:

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

It depends why you are modeling it and if it is to be built, what material is intended.

Either producing the hull and keel separately and then fairing or producing the entire hull keel as one is valid but depends on your skill level with the software.

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Turnbuckle I find it depends on the designs profile. Some you can do with just two surfaces, hull and transom, sometimes three, hull, sternpost and transom. In this case I would use two surfaces joined at about the third diagonal for the hull and keel because of the overhang at the stern, and a transom surface. The rudder cut out makes that area a bit more problematic and I would most likely cut and trim that area after fairing the hull.

4. yachty4000

yachty4000 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.