Merging Hull Surfaces in Rhino 5

Discussion in 'Software' started by zyrogers, Apr 29, 2014.

1. zyrogers

zyrogers New Member

Does anyone know of a good way to merge this hull into one surface?

The bulbous and the upper bow were lofted separate from the rest of the hull.

Rhino keeps telling me the "edges are too far apart" despite upping tolerance for the lower two surfaces (Bulbous bow and the lower hull portions) when attempting the MergeSrf command. I've also tried MatchSrf, which seems to work, but does not help with the merging issue.

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Zyrogers your problem with merge and match comes from splitting the hull surface after I think you lofted the sections. The split surfaces still keep the original control points for the whole hull (see pic) so the new surfaces don’t have the same number of points or can connect to the originals. You might try splitting the sections first then lofting then match and merge surfaces.

Attached Files:

3. zyrogers

zyrogers New Member

bhnautika, Yes that is exactly what I did, and your suggestion fixed the issue! Thanks!

Although rebuilding the surface to retain a close match to the original surface where the aft top of the bulbous bow meets the rest of the hull is a bit tricky.

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Sometimes where the slice is makes all the difference

5. Higuel

Higuel Higuel Noroes

Try using the JoinEdge command. This command joins two naked edges that are out of tolerance. Even though it appears that you have only one coinciding edge separating both surfaces, you have two edges (one from each surface) which are very close to each other.

If you have naked edges in your model, this means there is a surface not connected to another. In other words, you have a leak point. Use command ShowEdges, to show the naked edges which appear in pink. After the JoinEdge command, the naked edges must disappear and your model is fully watertight as a single surface.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.