maxsurf triming issue , I need help

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldhunter_2, Jun 19, 2012.

1. goldhunter_2

goldhunter_2 Junior Member

I am using maxsurf 13 pro (can't find a 16.01 or 17 update online yet) my design has progressed at a rather good pace so far of course I have been back making several changes as I go but that is nothing new at least for me anyway.

my hull design was originally done a half section with semitically slip section for the other side, the hull is flared and checked how I want it so I really rather not make changes to that if I can help it. new to CAD I foolishly did the transverse cross section the same way not realizing the issue it would cause later. :(

problem is I am now trying to change/replace the half transverse sections (these trim perfectly to the hull) with full none semiteical sections and that part I can do easy but when I try to trim them they will cut just about everything:mad: My first thoughts was a hole somewhere .... I have blown up the design and here just isn't a hole to be found!!! I have checked all the way around the surface several times and no holes BUT when rendered the light black surface line stops where the part with no longer trim but there is no hole:confused::confused: ..........next I thought well maybe it is just this one section so I move further forward and come back to this but still have the same problem at two other locations so it has to be something I am doing wrong since no holes can be found at either of those locations either.

anyone have some ideas or advice?

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Quote:” A picture is worth a thousand words”

3. goldhunter_2

I'm not real sure how to get a picture up on the forum but give me a few minutes to try

4. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

There are numerous programs for that, but under Windows the simplest way is probably to use some combination of Ctrl, Fn and Print Screen buttons (just press all at once, of those you have available) and Paste it in let's say, Paint.
    Save as .jpg for example, and from there upload to this place.

5. goldhunter_2

normally I agree that a picture is worth the thousand words but I'm not really sure how it will help in this situation. I have allot of stuff roughed in and still have to go back to adjust like the twin keels and rudders, mast etc etc so don't be to hard on me :)

this screen shot I put up st 4 this I originally would think as the most problematic one with three different level deck areas but there is no holes to allow the trim to cut the whole part.

sorry the animation was to big to upload on the forum

Attached Files:

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Goldhunter 2 is the hull to deck joint bonded to each other? This guarantees there are no gaps.

7. goldhunter_2

no nothing is bonded yet, I'm still roughing shapes it is working fine with the half sections but a full section like shown in orange it cuts the whole part

8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Goldhunter 2 try bonding the hull and deck then try the trim as the surface that you are trimming crosses two surfaces.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.