Maxsurf Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimClark, Dec 26, 2005.

1. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

I recently downloaded the demo of Maxsurf to see how it was before I went through and purchased it, but I am soo confused. I am used to FreeShip which seems really easy and straightforward compared to this. Am I missing out on something? I am just having problems of even making a hull. Any help on the program would be apreciated.

Tim

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I see no difference of how they work in principle, Maxsurf and Freeship are so similar,

I hope i have this right....

From the ground up.....

To create a single chined hull:

.......Bottom Surface.....

File:
    "New Design"

Surfaces
    "Add Surface"......."Default"

Display
    "Shape"..."Net"...(check Rows and columns) this will show the "vertex cage"

Controls
    "Add Column".......click on any edge of the "Default" surface (Top side of the surface)..add 6 columns for now

The bottom surface is done....

........Top Surface......

Surfaces
    "Duplicate surfaces"......check the name of the surface(should be "default")and hit OK.....

Surfaces
    "Move Surface"..........Freeform.....click on any vertex of the new surface and hold the mouse button and drag the surface above the first surface, so the lower edge of the "new surface" is close to the upper edge of the "default" surface....

Now the surface in the top of the screen has one step to do before joining the edges of the surfaces.....

click and drag in any of the control vertexes in the lower edge of the top surface, you will find out that there are superimposed vertexes in the lower edge, just drag them out of the way (the same for the "default" surface).....

once you have done that:

select 1 vertex on the lower side of the top surface and one vertex on the upper edge of the "default" surface try to select these in a way they match in the same column

Once selected:

Controls
    "Bond Edges"....No Tangency

and there is the chine....the rest is push and pull exactly as freeship.....

these is creating the surfaces from the ground up, Maxsurf has more tools and features but is just as basic as Freeship or Prosurf or fastship....they all have they own ways but at the end the basics of controlling a mesh (freeship) or a Nurb (the rest of the modelers) is the same.....even rhino works in similar way

I hope it helps

3. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Alright it's not as easy but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Tim

4. ilgazcan

ilgazcan Junior Member

hi..
    i want to calculate resistence and required power of a chine hull motor yacht with maxsurf hullspeed.but every method gives very different result.which methods proper for a chine hull form.which method gives more correct result.
    i couldnt decide.thanks for your informations..

5. SERDEM

SERDEM New Member

hi ilgaz;
    delft III method will be useful for you, or you may check the help menu for details.

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Hi ilgazcan,

It depends on the dimesnions of your vessel and type, the resistance series have a range of dimensions and values that your boat has to meet to be able to use such methods, planing, semi-planing? or displacement type hull?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.