Maxsurf beginners help

Discussion in 'Software' started by KOEZE, Jun 10, 2004.

1. KOEZE

KOEZE New Member

Hello,

I'm modelling my first hull in Maxsurf from a scanned lines drawing. I have placed markers on the sections based on a scaled part of the drawing. I would also like to place them on the keel line. However, I cannot seem to select the centre line. With the sections I selected the right section in the body plan which worked like a charm.
    I have buttocks defined but cannot select any plane in the longitudinal axis of the ship.
    How can I place markers on the centreline of the ship to represent the keel.

EJK

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

When you add a marker in the profile view, it will default to having a y value of zero, so it will be on your centreline. If you wish to add points along a specific buttock line on your scanned drawing it is more difficult, as although Maxsurf maintains a current section and therefore longitudinal position for inserting markers , it does not have any concept of inserting markers on different buttock or waterline planes.

If you need to do this the easiest way is to digitise all of the points for a specific buttock, then select all of those points, and choose Marker Properties from the Markers menu. This will allow you to set the distance from the centreline for several markers simultaneously

3. KOEZE

KOEZE New Member

So it does not matter which section is active, if I place markers in the profile view these will automatically be placed on the centre plane of the ship. I do not need to put markers on the buttocks.

Since I use a scanned drawing (60 years old) I'll add markers to the sections, add the keel outline (centre buttock) and create the appropriate surfaces to form the hull. I'll fair that and the buttocks and waterlines will be generated from that. This way I know I'll have a consistant lines drawing instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards,

EJK

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.