Line length in AutoCAD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willallison, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I have a number of objects in AutoCAD for which I need to determine their length. For simple lines, the "properties" tool gives length as one of its outputs. But most are also made up of splines...
    How to determine their length?
    And is there a simple way in AutoCAD to determine the total length of a combination of lines and splines etc?

1 person likes this.
  2. Willallison

Sorry, I should have been a little more specific...
    Is there a way of determining perimeter length in objects made up of a combination of line types, that are not closed

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

there is a command in autocad called lengthen works with lines. plines, splines etc...this si porbably what you are looking for i guess if you want to find the perimeter or girth of a frame lengthen is the command.

Go here:
    http://www.spaug.org/LISP_Index00.Html

and find Totlen.lsp

is a lisp command for autocad that sums all lengths of defined elemnts

4. Willallison

Ah - yes of course... "lengthen" gives you the current length on the command line before you activate the command.
    Thanks CGN
    I'm not familiar with LISPS... will have to look into it....
    It still surprises me that AutoCAD doesn't have a command to determine the total length of multiple lines though....

5. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

didn't know that command.. I always used list with splines. Will try this one out, will come in handy often!

6. bobg3723

bobg3723 Senior Member

The AREA command gives the perimeter and area of splines and LWpolylines (2D polyline), closed or open. 3Dpoly (3d polylines) only return the perimeter.
    To select the polyline Entity, type:

AREA e

regards,
    Bob

7. Willallison

Thanks Bob! Exactly the command I was looking for..... not sure why I didn't twig to it earlier:rolleyes:

8. bobg3723

bobg3723 Senior Member

Happy to oblige. :)

To find the area of a 3dpolyline, you have to, (a) click points with the mouse, or (b) supply points as a list on the command line in a lisp statement:
    (setq foo '((10 5 0) (0 -50 0) (-8 5 25)))
    (command "area" foo "" )

This is just an quick example. Any legal parameter that AREA expects can be supplied in a list. You may want to write your own lisp utitlities to do just that. There's plenty of examples scattered throughout the various autolisp forums.

Cheers,
    BobG

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.