Importing and exporting between Rhino 3.0 and Autocad 2004

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coen, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Coen

Coen Junior Member

Hi you all,

As a 3rd year student naval architecture in The Netherlands, we have to design an Offshore Support Vessel. The prelimenary linesplan had to be handdrawn, which we finished last week.

I started putting transverse sections into rhino, so we have a simple 3d model. We want to use this 3d model for our General Arrangment plan. My plan was making sections of the waterlines where the decks start, so we now how much floor space we have.

In Rhino, this works perfectly. Every waterline we reproduce looks perfect and is exactly the same as the model. When we export it to autocad it all goes wrong. According to autocad, the waterlines aren't symmetrical no more, the waterlines are a lot more narrow than in rhino. Conclusion: something went wrong.

When I do the same but use dxf files instead of dwg's, it is even worse. So I presumed it had something to do with the type of file. Yesterday evening I wanted to try it with .Iges or .Igs files, but my autocad version doesn't import this type of files.

Does anybody have a solution for my problem?

Thank you for your reply!

Coen Meerbach
    3rd yr Student Naval Architecture
    Professional University Inholland Delft.

2. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Try importing using splines instead of polylines. It should be an option when you export dwg from rhino, I think that might work.

3. wbouwmans

wbouwmans Junior Member

Hello collegue,

I've just tried the suggestion mentioned above for an old design i had laying around. If you use splines it works.

4. Coen

Coen Junior Member

Yes, but when you use splines this will be quite inaccurate.

I found out that you can differ the number of points rhino exports with in the last screen before exporting. YOu can make the seg and chord lengths smaller and bigger which will add or remove control points in your polyline (in autocad).

Thanks for the reply anyway.

5. wbouwmans

wbouwmans Junior Member

Well I don't seen any difference between export of plines and splines. i've exported the both, and put them over each other in acad 2005. They're both perfect. And you are only going to use it for a general plan anyway. In the third GO office (next to froude hok) my general plan still hangs on the wall. those waterlines are exported from maxsurf, using splines. Is that not accurate enough?

greetings,
    wouter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.