importing design from Rhino into maxsurf??

Discussion in 'Software' started by willthom, Oct 6, 2013.

1. willthom

willthom New Member

I have designed a 11.5m offshore power boat in Rhino4, but I am having issues putting it into Maxsurf 13 to help with hydrostatics and loadcases can any one offer any advice?? it will just about do it if I run it through solidworks, but this messes up the axis as solidworks Z axis is vertical.??:confused:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In general, for CAD programs, the vertical axis is always the Z axis.
    If you draw the Rhinos model with vertical Z axis, you may not have problems exporting the file to any other CAD program.

3. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

when u export from rhino as igs format, you can change the correct axis to maxsurf format.
    or rotate the model in rhino to match with maxsurf axis system, then import the *3dm file in maxsurf

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Importing * 3dm files directly to MaxSurf may experience some problems, especially when trimmed surfaces exist in the model. It is much safer to create a .igs file from Rhino and then import it into MaxSurf. At that time, in fact, you can indicate the shafts to be adopted by MaxSurf.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.