Import Lines Plan to Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by ivansalasj, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Steve, I have a vague feeling Tim is being sarcastic :)

2. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hello,

Thanks again with the quick replies. Craig my only doubt was the actual nature of the lines, very similar to the classis 6 m class, but if you say that it should be straight fwd I will go ahead and try it your way since I do agree the less importing/exporting I do the better, and ideally I want the hull in Maxsurf to get the hydrostatics.

Thanks again,

Ivan

P.S. I will post images and results and I move on!

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Well, I have been trying to model a surface in maxsurf and use image backgrounds of the original lines plan as a guide to build up the model of the hull, but i have decided to take the initial approach and use the lines which I have drawn from an image imported into autocad and I now have the stations in rhino which I will rebuild and loft a surface to get the hull form defined in rhino, from there I will try to export to maxsurf but not to sure how that will go so I will probably like to stick with rhino for the hydrostatic calculation, my priority is to get the hull form so I can started gathering data to continue with the designing of this classic 12 m yacht, so I will keep you updated and hopefully add some pics by the end of the week.

Any comments?
    Ivan

4. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Can you post the image files of the original lines plans? I might have time to have a go and model them in MaxSurf and see where the problems might be.

5. Raggi_Thor

I have tried this in Rhino with typical ship hulls (parallel midship) and small boats. Lofting is very quick, but will probably produce a surface with a lot of control points, and it may be difficult to edit afterwords. With ship hulls I find it easier to model it in several sections. With small (continuous) boats I find it easier to make a new surface from scratch with as few control points as possible (have to guess) and then edit this surface ("nudging") till the sections are close enough to the lines I want.

6. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hello,

Well the design is slowly taking shape, I have tried lofting in rhino by simply selcting the stations, once I have rebuild them to a reasonable number of control points, but innacuracy is certain when the surface is generated, specially in the keel line. Is it any other method I can try to loft the surface to match more precisely the surface to the lines since using only the stations is not good enough?

I will post images of the lines plan, if you like, once I have the rhino file as I wanted it for anybody that wants to try.

Thank you!

P.S. Soon I will post the images.

7. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

Once you have your simplified surface, you can do the following:
    - Run Divide on a station curve to extract some points along the curve.
    - Select the points and run PointDeviationEx on the points and your surface.
    - You should be able to adjust surface control points in this mode and see how far your surface is from the station points.

Thanks,
    -Steve

8. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hello,

when modelling the stations is it a good practice to divide certain stations, specially the ones of the midship section of the yacht, to use fewer control points to model the curve and then join the 3 curves to make the station.

Cheers,

Ivan

9. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Good morning,

I have attached an initial body plan for the lines we have been talking about. At the moment, due to the digitalisation the lines in rhino were with decens of points so currently working on reducing these and making sure the lines do not deviate to much from the originals, also I was suggested to drop the number of stations for surface modelling but my concern is with the constant change of the lines in the profile view due to the characteristics of these classic yachts, so was thinking in dealing with these lines in three curves and the join. Any thoughts?

Regards Ivan,

10. Raggi_Thor

Don't see the attachment.
    Did you place it in the gallery?

11. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Had to change format of pic

Attached Files:

12. Raggi_Thor

Should be OK to use these lines, but they obscure each other in the keel area.

13. finavar

finavar Wallflower

FWIW, I traced scanned lines in Rhino to create a 3D model of a 1930's Atkin yawl. I put the scan in as a Background Bitmap, and had no problem zooming and panning.

I didn't use every section when I lofted the surface, and I had to make the keel and deadwood separate surfaces. I rebuilt the hull surface to simplify it, then tweaked it to match the sections. I found it most useful to have a column of control points at each station, and an extra one at the stern. The number of rows was determined by the smallest number that would keep the shape.

I would say Rhino is much more suitable for this sort of thing than AutoCAD. I tried tracing in AutoCAD but found it too frustrating. Haven't used MaxSurf so I can't comment.

After the hull was done the rest of the boat was modelled from photographs. It was an interesting project.

Anyway, that's what I've found. Anyone wants clarification or pointers feel free to ask!

J

14. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hello and thanks for the replies,

I think I am going to use the original lines with decens of points to make sure the fit to the original sections is better, once i have thr surface/s for the hull and keel I will fair this curve. My only concer is how should I go about it to fit the surfaces, I was thinking in doing one surface for the hull above the WL and then the remaining one for the keel, does this work well? can i Join these surfaces one done?

Thanks again
    Regards Ivan,

15. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Hi there - could you post the Profile and Plan as well, and I'll give it a go in Maxsurf?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.