Hydrostatics... with hydromax

Discussion in 'Software' started by ivansalasj, Dec 3, 2004.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hi,

I am having problems to get the hydrostatics of a hull form which i am using at the moment to complete my research. Is it that hard if you haven t got a surface defined to use prefit to fit a surface and then get the hydrostatics using hydromax??? I really need this data to continue ... so i will be very greatful if anybody can give a hand i have attached my file, if somebody want to have a look at it.

Thanks.
    Ivan

Attached Files:

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

I've had a look at your design and the dxf file has some problems, see image below. The points being out of order in the section is not too major, at least the data is there and can be used as offsets for fitting.

The bigger problem is that the front half of the boat doesn't seem to fit onto the back half, there is a significant step in the hull section shape in front of where the fin keel starts. Is there one or more sections missing from the design??

Andrew

Attached Files:

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your reply and your time, the offsets were taken from a lines plan which had 50 sections. When i used maxsurf to read the offsets i only took 26 sections, as you can see. Its the first time i see the two erros that you have pointed out but i will defently have a look at them and try again.
    Thanks again for your time
    Ivan

4. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

Does Hydromax run as stand-alone program on Mac under emulation (Virtual PC)?
    Thank you.

Robert

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  5. Andrew Mason

Robert

I believe it runs OK under the latest version of Virtual PC, the only problem in the past has been recognition of the USB copy protection devices, but this now seems to be OK.

Andrew

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Andrew Mason/MaxSurf

I believe we are among the first users of MaxSurf in Holland. We have used the system extensively in the mid-'90s but lost interest in updates since the first system was non-compatible with MS applications and also, the real reason, we shifted our activities and we did the first set-up by hand and the rest was done outside the office by third parties.

Due to the fact that a new project may come our way, I am interested to take up again the issue of do-it-again-ourselves.
    There is renewed interest in our Natasha-class Corvette but that design is from the mid '90s and needs also conversion from diesels to gasturbines.

In this particular case there is a substantial shift of weights and 2nd to that, I want to give the hull an eye-over, adapting it to newer techniques and developments.

We are now balancing between Albacore (Nick Danese) and MaxSurf.

It is not a matter of money, but more a matter of the learning curve.
    Basicly it is the hull that has to be modernised and adapted; the superstructure will be done still by hand.

Can you give us an advise how to proceed?

7. Andrew Mason

Firstly, Maxsurf and Shipconstructor are not competing systems, in fact we are agents for ARL and sell Shipconstructor in Australia and S.E. Asia as a complimentary product to Maxsurf.

The Maxsurf suite of programs covers the naval architecture functions -
    Hullform creation (Maxsurf)
    Hydrostatics (Hydromax)
    Stability (Hydromax)
    Strength (Hydromax)
    Resistance (Hullspeed)
    Seakeeping (Seakeeper)

as well as some parametric preliminary structural design in the Workshop program.

Shipconstructor on the other hand performs -
    Detailed structural design
    Piping
    HVAC
    Outfitting
    Build strategy
    Nesting
    Cutting

These are functions required to actually build the vessel.

We now have several large yards using both the full Maxsurf suite in conjunction with Shipconstructor, so please do not compare the two programs against one another, they perform completely different functions and the areas of overlap are small.

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

MaxcSurf

I know, I meant to say Autoship, we have used Albacore also as an extension to MaxSurf but we got always problems with the dbx files and the plasmacutter didnot work always correctly.
    When we sold the shipyard, we abandoned MaxSurf also. Lately I'm involved in Sales rather than in Development. Since Natasha is my baby, I have to take it up again. Lot's of things I have forgotten, so it seems.
    Now that the heavy MTU's are omitted, the whole balance of the hull has to be recalculated etc.
    In anycase thanks for your reply, will check now who the present agent is.

Kind regards
    Brien Gilroy

9. Andrew Mason

Brien

Regarding the interface from Maxsurf to ShipConstructor, we now write custom ShipConstructor data files so that the geometry transfers accross together with things like plate thickness and material properties.

Regarding the comparison between Autoship and Maxsurf, we feel we have a more comprehensive and better integrated suite of programs. We also feel that the Maxsurf suite of programs are easier to learn and use.

If you need more specific details, please contact me by email -AndyM@formsys.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.