Hullform Software. DXF import

Discussion in 'Software' started by AWalters, Mar 23, 2013.

1. AWalters

AWalters New Member

I'v been attempting to import DXF files into Hullform without success.

I get the message:
    "The range of the third (3x) dimension is symmetrical about zero, suggesting this is actually the lateral offset of a symmetrical design. Do you want to change your choice to X,Z,Y or Z,X,Y?"

I then go through every X Z and Y co-ordinate option - which always ends with the message:
    "Less than two useable frames found"

The DXF files are 3D and all made from polylines only - as required by Hullform.

Has anyone had success importing DXF files? If so I'd be grateful for some help on this!

Thanks

2. quequen

quequen Senior Member

AWalters, yes I had the same problems, and had some success by editing the .dxf file, but then I changed to better solutions like Delftship, Freeship, PolyCAD etc. Hullform was a great software but was discontinued long time ago. What kind of job are you thinking on? Generally speaking, all you can do in Hullform, can be done in the mentioned free softwares.

3. AWalters

AWalters New Member

Hello Quequen

Thanks for your reply. Since posting the message, I've downloaded PolyCAD which I've started to use. At this stage, PolyCAD doesn't have the speed / drag calculation function of Hullform. Is this available in Delftship and Freeship?

Best wishes

Andrew

4. quequen

quequen Senior Member

AWalters, each software has his strong points.
    Freeship has many different Resistance (speed/drag, as you noted) analysis and generates pretty interesting reports. Just check which is the correct one for your kind of boat.
    PolyCAD has a beautifull Hydrostatics module, full realtime and interactive
    look this tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPGe874ghs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzFI-dlmllE
    (There is a new release of PolyCAD, #10, totally renewed)
    Delftship is faster and easier to use than Freeship (and most good looking also) but has many important limitations.

For resistance analysis, you can try this site also, it needs some updating, but still works:
    http://www.klz-resistance.blogspot.com.ar/

5. AWalters

AWalters New Member

Hi Quequen
    Many thanks for the reply. I'll try them all out. I'm familiarising myself with PolyCAD at the moment. I Like the new interface and I think that before too long it will have Resistance analysis tools.

Best wishes

Andrew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.