hull designers using DWG?

Discussion in 'Software' started by longngone, Oct 21, 2004.

1. longngone

longngone Junior Member

I've been doing all my drawings in AutoCAD 2002. It has come to the point where I need to start doing some calculations. Unfortunately I'm not a math wiz, and would prefer some Computer Assisted help with calculations. Is there any software that interfaces with AutoCAD that could help me, or anyone who loves running formulas? Any help would be great!

2. Mario

Mario Junior Member

As I know there is no a special ACAD application for hydrostatics calculating only.
    You can do it by conversioning your DWG file into DXF file and then put it in one of the special softwares. It would be a quite complicated for some of them. I contribute it in one example of conversion ACAD->Maxsurf.
    I made a program named Kus-SHDM (www.kus.hr) that runs inside ACAD for designing a sailing hull on a unique method. In my program there is a hydrostatics calculation, not only upright. Because of testing the hydrostatics results I use MAXSURF.
    Converion from ACAD to Maxsurf is in way making a file that consists points of the hull and geting it to Maxsurf¨s Prefit program that make a surface of your hull. After that you can use other Maxsurf`s program.

Mario

3. cgorton

cgorton Junior Member

You could also download the evaluation version of Rhino (free for 25 saves) and the evaluation of the Rhino Marine plug-in (free for 2 weeks). Rhino can open DWG/DXF/IGS, etc.

This is assumng the calculations you are speaking of are marine related (hydrostatics, stability, etc.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.