Hull design software for AutoCAD

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrievousAngel, Jun 22, 2011.

1. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel GrievousAngel

Hello,

I am new to this forum and thanks for allowing me to participate.

I am trying to locate hull design software that a novice in could dig into. I am somewhat familiar with and own AutoCAD 2010, so hopefully a good hull design add-on is available for use with AutoCAD or a standalone package. Preferably I would like to use a trial version to see if it works for me, etc. Shareware would be great, but if needed I would be glad to purchase a package.

I am planning on building a proto-type of a small 2 person aluminum air-boat with a 15-20 hp 4-cycle engine. If it works out in terms of cost and performance, I am considering manufacturing a few to test the market need in SE Georgia.

Also, does anyone know where to start the process of getting coast guard approval, what is required, average length of time to get approval, etc.

Thanks,

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Welcome Will,

When you say "design", this can be either "just drawing", as if on paper, or "design" in the sense of number crunching.

I suspect you mean the former, drawing?....AuotCAD is sufficient (I use this), as is Rhino and Inventor etc. These allow you to define the hull structure (with extra such as outfitting/engines etc if needed) in a 2D or 3D enviornment for easy viewing and draughting.

For 'design', there is none, in the strict sense. There are several that can be used to assist, such as FEA (for structures)and CFD (hydrodynamics) and power prediction (resistance & propulsion) programs etc...but these require more of an education in naval architecture to understand the "whole" design. And only provide one piece of the large puzzle the NA must solve to meet the requirements.

3. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel GrievousAngel

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes, I mean drawing as in AutoCAD, but was thinking maybe a hull design plug-in existed. For very basic hull designs such a flat bottom hull that is often used with air-boats, what would you recommend?

I plan on using aluminum or other light weight, durable material suitable for a family-fun-fishing-run-a-bout boat hull for very shallow draft (~2" max) for running across calm shallow water, marsh and swamp-grass. NOT for ice. I approximate a 15hp 4-cycle + ~3' prop would push a 250 person about 20 mph on smooth surfaces. I have seen ones made of plywood that will do those numbers.

I do not think it would require a heavy duty software package to do basically a wide jon boat. Suggestions?

Thanks,

If this proto-type works out I am planning on manufacturing to sell in limited quantities.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

There is no true hull design drawing package in the sense that you mean. Since any CAD package that can draw straight or curved lines is sufficient. The simple way to think of it is this...if you had a piece of paper and a pencil, are you limited in what you can draw on the paper? Answer, no. CAD software is the same. So whether a flat bottom boat or an aircraft carrier or a bridge or a house, all can be done.

Having said that some software’s are better than others, owing to the requirements that are required in draughting (drawing) a hull for production. And i do stress for "production". As all these software’s are aimed at production building, and not just esoteric design that remains in the software never to see the light of day. As designing in the sense of shape of hulls for resistance and powering and stability calculations etc has nothing to do with drawing software aimed at production drawings for build.

You can buy a plug in for AuotCAD called Shipconstructor, if that is the type of "add on" that you're after. But if you are proficient enough with AutoCAD i would say it is not necessary.

You need to be clear in your own mind that you are just drawing your idea down on “paper” for someone to build. The builder requires plans/drawings…thus how does the yard get the drawings..via a CAD program. This program will not, as I noted before, tell you anything in the true “design” sense, number crunching as what is the strength of the frames, or weight of the structure or speed of the boat etc etc.

I get the impression you’re “over thinking” this. Drawing software is relatively straight fwd, but of course more complex boats requires better software at the “management” side, generally for procurement Bill of Materials etc etc.

So, you need to address what is the end game, what is it you wish to produce and this ‘data’ that you produce who is this for yourself or another, such as a builder? There is no need to over complicate a relatively simple and straight forward process.

Many on this website end up using Freeware, which by its nature is limited. But I assume you have AutoCAD, thus that should be sufficient. You just need guidance on how to draw up your design for production.

1 person likes this.
  5. yipster

yipster designer

wise words and good advice, still in a case like this i think it may be worth giving freeship / delftship a go if your allready proficient with 3d drawing, the basic delftship program is free, not that hard to learn, gives some of the data named, is made for drawing boats and ships, has a big database and also draws the cutting patterns, as rhino does, could be acad 2010 can do developable plates too but havent tried yet

6. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Grievous, considering the kind of boat you are trying to modell, and as an AutoCAD user for 20 years I can give you my (very personal) point of view: Don't spent your time trying to model a hull with AutoCAD. AutoCAD is probably the best 2D software on market, but isn't a good 3D modeller. If you like Autodesk and his filosofy you can try Inventor, even Mechanical Desktop (if you find some old version). Both are Parametrics and very powerful 3D modellers. Shipconstructor or some other AutoCAD nautical plugin can be a solution (despiting cost).
    An AutoCAD expert can model a simple yacht-hull in about 20 min. You can do the same on about 5 min. using some of the free softwares yipster mentioned. Refinement is also a hard job in AutoCAD. And after that you have hidrostatics and stability issues that AutoCAD can't develop by itself.
    On the other hand, all packages export to AutoCAD so you can extract data and continue your job there.

7. anhdtht

anhdtht Junior Member

I often use autoship to design hull

8. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Instead of searching plugin for Autocad, you should try free software like freeship, Rhino demo(for 30 days fully functional), Audesk 123D, Sketchup etc, they are not very hard to learn.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Buy a set of airboat plans or learn yacht design: pick one.

10. yipster

yipster designer

shame on me, certified but no acad installed right now while beeing asked if acad drawing can be developed, not learned or try'd, can it?

11. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Hi Yipster, AutoCAD hasn't yet good automated developable commands. You must to install some plugin to do it well. Here you can download a plugin to develop surfaces in AutoCAD (it works for AutoCAD 2007 and later). This one has a 5 days licence, then you must to purchase. It comes with a help and many examples.

Unfold Surface for AutoCAD
    http://software.filestube.com/d/developable surface

Another cheaper way is to search for some free autolisp routine, there are a lot of really good lisp routines for AutoCAD, but they are difficult to find and more difficult to learn...

1 person likes this.

12. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

A flat bottomed skiff is easy to draw with pencil and paper, and you would lean something in the process . If not, then freeships would do .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.