How to thick a hull designed with Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by GHD, Nov 25, 2013.

1. GHD

GHD Junior Member

Hi everybody !

I have a realy big problem in boat design... :(

In order to give to the constructor some clean and correct plans, I need to give to my 3D surface (which is the hull) a given thickness.

Little explanation of how I proceed for the design :
    - after having decided of the specs of the (sail)boat, I trace the hull design in Maxsurf
    - I then export the IGES file into Solidworks where I design the rest of the boat.

My problem is that Solidworks cannot thick the surface because of the partly chined hull of the sailboat (disappearing chine). In more details, the chine has a (very little) radius which tends become smaller on the inside part of the thickened hull.

I realy need to have this thickened hull in order to design correctly the inside sections, which can potentially be cutted by CNC.

Here are some pictures of the hull : (which is a RC sailboat for Footy class)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do YOU do guys ?

Thanks very much for your help !!!

Horia

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you will work only with the inner surfaces of the hull, you will not need to give any thickness to hull to define the internal parts.
    Naturally, hydrostatic values ​​you get will ignore the hull plates thickness but this is a mistake that, at least in large boats, is not taken into account.

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Surprised SolidWorks will not 'join' the surface, maybe it is not one clean surface? Might be an IGES export error and down to tolerances too. In worst case put it through Rhino and back into SolidWorks and it should be fine. Pro-E would 'knit' the chine if it has 'gaps'. Rhino will too, through some editing commands.

Are there other MaxSurf options ie type of IGES or STEP files etc. they might be better. SolidWorks can be a bit tricky to get an optimal surface file into. Works reliably from Rhino in my experience, but again you need the correct export options. Then it becomes a replaceable parametric surface.

4. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

Thickness

..but i believe you can add thickness to the surface from physical properties. is not that you wanting ?

Attached Files:

5. GHD

GHD Junior Member

Hi everybody !

The problem has been solved ! :)
    The solution :
    To have a disappearing chine, I have to design the half hull in Maxsurf with two different surfaces. One for the upside part of the chine, and one for the downside part. This limit between those two surfaces can be a sharp edge or not depending on the tangency of the two surfaces.
    In this way, the IGES exported surface is far better accepted by Solidworks, which is now able to thick it !

Horia

6. turbo2256b

turbo2256b Junior Member

I have worked in CAD since 86 Mostly turbochargers and engine design. Fillets are one of the bigest pains. Ofsetting surfaces with fillets often kinks things up. Better off using surfaces ppast the intersection edge offset them thickness required then trim to desired intersection edge then fillet inside and outside edge.
    Often have used a bigger radi on the inner than the outer to add some strength.
    Hope this helps

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.