How to draw a hull of a ship in ProEngineer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ggburne, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ggburne

ggburne Junior Member

I am a Mechanical Engineering student and my thesis requires me to model a hull of a ship, specifically an icebreaker and to be imported into ANSYS. The only CAD program that I'm good at is ProEngineer but I have no idea how to model a hull since this is more towards naval architecture, not machine or structure design. Can anyone assist or provide me links to tutorials to model a hull in ProEngineer? or maybe in Catia?

2. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

I know that it's possible to draw hull in ProE or Catia, but I have no idea how it will be done ... You can download Maxsurf Academic from here. It's free version, and there are many video tutorials. I become good enough to make complete ship hulls in three days. So if you have 1-2 days available you will make really good shape. Keep in mind that Maxsurf creates NURB surface, which you could be imported directly in Ansys.

3. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

Download freeship generate the surfaces in that, you will probably find something similar to what you want already defined. It's always best to use software made for the job for the first part.

4. LarryMcI

LarryMcI Junior Member

Hull model in Pro/E

I've used Pro/E since 1989 and Pro/D since 2001. My entire vessel (and, subsequently, all my customers') have been 100% PTC solid-modeled before we even THINK about starting construction. Lofting is the key command. You will need cross-sections of several stations along the LOA. It's not difficult ... just tedious. I'd be glad to assist if so desired.

5. bawa

bawa New Member

i'm a marine engg student and i have been assigned a task to design ship's hull on proe/catia etc....i need help for that...any tutorial file/ebook link will work.plz

6. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

7. maodou

maodou Junior Member

ansys can import msd file directly ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.