How to Create 3D Hull from Flat Panels?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DougChapman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. DougChapman

DougChapman New Member

I have purchased a boat plan for construction in plywood. The plans include dimensions for lofting the flat panels, which are to be "stitched and glued" together. I wish to make a 3D Rhino model (or perhaps other NURBS based hull design program) in advance of actual construction. I can loft the 2D surfaces of the hull panels using the dimension information on the plans. Is there a way to "stitch/join" the appropriate panel edges together electronically to create a 3d polysurface - the hull - ie the reverse of the "unroll"?

Thanks for the help.
    Doug

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Do you have lines plan for it? the panels should match the lines plan (sometimes they don't), if you don't have a lines plan it makes the exercise very complicated and probably not possible at all, I guess you probably were provided with some kind of assembly drawing, even if it is a stitch/join assembly you need references (stations) so at least you can build a correct symmetric boat, again not necessary true but is more than common.

3. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Though by no means perfect, I think TouchCAD comes closest to doing this within a reasonable time. What makes the difference is that TouchCAD has a dynamic link between the 3D model and the unfolded parts.

You can import the unfolded shape, unfold it, and then compare it with an unfolded version of the 3D model. You then select one or some control points in 3D, go to the Unfold view and select a special mode that allows nudging of the 3D shape while being in the Unfold view. Simply nudge the 3D shape until they match. The dynamic link automatically and instantly updates the unfolded parts as you nudge with the arrow keys. TouchCAD also allows you to drag / rotate / flip / and nest the unfolded parts without loosing the dynamic link to the 3D model, so with some degree of effort, I think it would be possible to do it.

www.touchcad.com

There is a fashion design program that comes with such a feature. It is however EXTREMELY expensive so I guess it is not really an option.

4. nero

nero Senior Member

Or perhaps, if you have the end, side and top view of the assemble hull; scan it, use it as a template in TouchCad, trace it.

Then unfold the model and compare the TouchCAD pannels to the plans you bought. Then make the corrections like Claes posted.

Or just build a model of the boat and take photos. smile

5. DougChapman

DougChapman New Member

No, I don't have a lines plan or accurate photos. There are a few stations defined, around which the panels are bent but the idea is that the act of lining up and stitching the panel edges together (with wire or zip ties) produces a fair hull.

Thanks for the replies!

Doug

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.