Freeship chines export to 2D and 3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by Drysideup, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Drysideup

Drysideup New Member

Hi,

New to the group and to the software (v2.3).

(*Sincerel apologies for this post ending up in Sailboats the first time).

I've successfully imported chine points and finished the design of the hull. I can create plates, but would like to export them full scale to a print shop to create patterns (wasn't planning on any CNC/laser work).

Export 2D polylines isn't available. If I try to print full scale, I can't create a custom sheet big enough. I have created a huge bitmap, but before I try to print from it, I wanted to see if there was a better way.

I also tried to export an iges to then import back into Solidworks for further detailing. Freeship says "32 surfaces exported", but when I import the iges file, SW says it is "Processing" for 20+ minutes and then I give up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CS

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

"Export 2D plotlines isn't available. If I try to print full scale, I can't create a custom sheet big enough. I have created a huge bitmap, but before I try to print from it, I wanted to see if there was a better way."

when you open the screen to see the plate layout (developed) there is a button with a "compass" icon on it, click on that and it will save the plate as a doff that can be read by any cad.

if you are talking about the sections, you can go to: "project", "lines plan", find the compass icon again and click on it will save the lines plan in Dxf format.

Check your settings on importing iges files (SW) and check :

Surface/solid entities
    BE-Rep mapping
    Do not Knit
    Free Point/Curve entities
    Perform full entity check and repair errors

this may help

good luck

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Iges is having some teething problems right now, many report out of memory errors and 'locking up'.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.