Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
lazeyjack

freeship assist please

people, bonjour, gooday, Hullo I have a simple chine design, similar to Ovni I have hollows in the sections forwards, someone said I needs take out some points, but now I, can not see the points , even clicking on "show controls" if I could see em, how would I remove same?
Thanks I think I,ve attached the file, any comment is good, any help is welcomed
Ah and it has so many stations as default, how do I drop em all out and shove in my frame stations?
Attached Files
File Type: igs New model 2 ov.igs (22.6 KB, 138 views)

Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 AM
-

Rep: 96 Posts: 593
Freeship to Iges

Hoi Jack,

You posted an Iges model, i suppose you exported it from Freeschip.

Freeship works with "subdivision surfaces" not Nurb surfaces like the Iges format supports. When exporting from Freeschip many control points are added to correctly represent the surface in Iges format.

Do you want to refine your model in Freeship or for example in Rhino? Both allow for removing control points but the approach is different.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:25 PM

Rep: 571 Posts: 664
Lazeyjack to change stations and waterlines etc, go to the calculations menu then to intersections. I downloaded the igs file into maxsurf, the hollow in the bow can be removed by putting a bit of curvature in the keel line at the stem, keel line join.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
lazeyjack

thank you both, er Um thru out maxsurf, but have rhino lurking somewhere here
Not saying MS was no good, I know it is very very good, just the seller told me READ THE MANUAL,, and I had over and over!!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
lazeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpark
Hoi Jack,

Freeship works with "subdivision surfaces" not Nurb surfaces like the Iges format supports. When exporting from Freeschip many control points are added to correctly represent the surface in Iges format.

Do you want to refine your model in Freeship or for example in Rhino? Both allow for removing control points but the approach is different.
i should stick to freeship
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 PM
lazeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpark
Hoi Jack,

I searched the man. but can not see how to remove points, someone said the hollows forwards were caused by too many controls, in freeship I only have the 6 fore and aft, and that includes stem and (transom)
Old 07-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Rep: 2008 Posts: 4,132
How's it look in Gaussian view ( Ctrl G in perspective viewport), any green/blue where there should be orange? If the points look OK try nudging them around a bit in the bodyplan view. To remove a point you must first collapse any edges that depend on it (for a pt w/ 4 edges, you must collapse 2), then you can collapse the point. Generally in Freeship it's better to nudge points into place than to collapse them. (Unless you imported the model from Michlet/Godzilla in which case there will be hundreds of points that you usually want to clean up).

Old 07-22-2006, 08:48 AM
-

Rep: 96 Posts: 593
Removing points by collapsing points and edges.

From page 26 of the Freeship 2.6 manual:

Quote:
6.3 Collapse.
This removes a selected point without deleting the surrounding geometry. A point can only be collapsed if it is attached to exactly two edges. The point is then removed, and the two edges are combined into a single edge. If a point is attached to more than 2 edges, the other edges might be removed first by collapsing these edges. The example below shows a point before and after
collapsing it.
6 control points in vertical direction seems to much to me, in general it is best to start with as few control points as possible.