Free!ship for hull design how much advantage over Rhino?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Splint, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Hi,
    I've recently downloaded the latest version of Free!ship and have spent some time experimenting with it. I may be a little premature asking this question consifering my limited experience with Free!ship but the question that strikes me is if I only use Free!ship for hull design dose it really have any significant advantage over designing the hull from scratch in Rhino?

Cheers
    Splint

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Freeship has already some calculations for stability also has a plate expansion feature and the tools for modeling the hull are IMO way better than rhino, this is comparing freeship to "barebones" rhino, but you can add all this features to rhino buying the extra plug-ins already available for marine design you can check Rhinomarine and see all the plug-ins available

on the other side you can do most of what freeship does using rhino with the help of spreadsheets or calculator.

So IMO use freeship for design your hull and then use rhino to finish the extra details

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.