FREE!ship continues as DELFTship

Discussion in 'Software' started by Martijn_vE, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Most of the resistance methods are published in print, but only few are available onlone. I beleive Holtrop&Mennen is also available as PDF in one of the forums here on boatdesign.net. I'm not sure which one though.......

But these are all based on statistical data.

2. Martijn_vE

3. ricardoribeiro

ricardoribeiro Junior member

Thank, open in freeship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. JotM

JotM Junior Member

Yep. But shelf TR... is not in the main building of the library. That is in some faculty library. Thanks for the hint though.

But I really think I have to find out how to buy a reader these days. Students can order it through Blackboard, but those days are long gone for me. And I seem to remember someone telling me the readers can be bought opposite of the main entrance of the faculty building any more, like in the 80's.

5. JotM

JotM Junior Member

6. Martijn_vE

That's the one I meant.
    Be careful though, I beleive there's an error in the original (first) publication which was corrected in the second one.

7. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

8. JotM

JotM Junior Member

Mmm. I read the post with the corrections in the thread. A quick browse through the article leaves me wondering if the statistics are usable with a rowing sloop near estimated max hull speed.

9. Martijn_vE

It's pretty useless then. Your rowing boat is well outside the range of ships used for the statistical data. Try Mitchlet (http://www.cyberiad.net/hullsoft.htm)

10. JotM

JotM Junior Member

I would love to. But I was a bit slow last weekend. And in between the moment I had found the website and - well after diner - I had hooked up the USB disc I wanted to save the file on, the website had changed. It now states:
    I had the former version of the page on my screen, but the file was already actually removed. Darn. (version 8.7 can no longer be downloaded from the site either)

11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

re: "3d boat design" website
    Caveat emptor. What they're doing is quite clearly a direct violation of the GPL. Kudos to Martijn for trying to enforce the licence nicely. I hope the fraudsters fess up without much of a fight. Unfortunately, it's all too easy to do stupid and unethical things in the computer world, and all too difficult to track them down. It probably wouldn't hurt to let the Free Software Foundation know about this. They do not look kindly on those who violate the GPL.

For reference: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Daiquiri- sorry! Was a bit off last night, didn't mean to offend you. When everyone goes by screennames, it's hard to remember who knows what they're doing and who's a n00b.

Savitsky in Delftship would be nice.... ok, so proper validation could be an issue.... still, it does make a nice starting point for planing hull analysis, even if it doesn't work quite right in all cases.

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Re: Michlet
    JotM, I don't think Leo will mind if one of us sends you the executable binaries for 8.07/8.09 (nobody but Leo has the source). Send me an email from the link on my profile and I'll send them to you.

13. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

You didn't offend me at all Marsh. :)

I think that Savitsky, Radojcic or some other planing hull resistance calculation method would be important for DelftShip because it would dramatically increase the number of potential users, imho. I myself would be among the first ones in the line.
    At this stage of development I see this software more oriented towards small boatyards and design offices, as well as DIY designers. That's where planing boats reign and is, imho, one of reasons for the big success of Victor's version of the FreeShip (which is very well-equipped with various resistance calculation methods - including Michelet, if I recall correctly).

14. ricardoribeiro

ricardoribeiro Junior member

Because the prolines is the only what has an extension for structure calculations? ABS,
    in the delftship, in the maxsurf, etc, I never saw.

15. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Andrew James Casey c/o Owen Casey, 38 Raxworthy St, Ilam, Christchurch :)

Hi Martijn
    I have been digging a bit this morning and found interesting information. It’s not the first open source product that this guy is selling. Check http://www.opensubscriber.com/messages/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/870.html

The IDP Productions Group also has the web sites www.flightprosim.com and www.flight-aviator.com
    And numerous other sites – check out babydreamers.net - Nice pink colour. Anyone believe in http://lifesizetv.com?

The company is KcKpers Ltd and it is owned by Andrew James Casey, check out www.companies.govt.nz. Search on KcKpers and Shuttle Systems

He changed his company’s registered address to c/o Owen Casey, 38 Raxworthy St, Ilam, Christchurch back in 2006. And changed back to current address again in 2007. Phone number 1.5 years ago was (03) 358-3445. Current address is 5A Jasmine Place, Wigram, Christchurch, Canterbury 8004, New Zealand, same as he started it up in back in 2002. There is a phone number in the fax that Andrew used when he registered his company back in 2002

He also has Shuttle systems Ltd, registered at the same address as KcKpers. There is more interesting info on that company. Address for communication to Shuttle Systems is the Raxworthy address. That's probably the home address :)

Have a look at http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/legal/2008-November/001499.html and http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/legal/2008-November/001494.html
    And http://www.cbengine.com/res/stat.cfm?v=kckpers

Martijn, you are dealing with rat **** here, but the good thing is that there are things that you can do about this. Emails to the offender probably won’t work, it’s too easy to click delete. Letters are very cheap considering the results though. Someone must open them to read them

The best one I can think of is to print the email you sent and send it in letters. I suggest the neighbours of what is the address of communication (38 Raxworthy St), Owen Casey and Jo Anne Louise Casey and perhaps this guy;
    Vice President - Kelly Craven
    PM me for complete address
    lifestyleplanning@xtra.co.nz

He is in the same address as KcKpers, then if you can be bothered, find all the others living at the same address and send letters to them too, you should report the copyright abuse to RAbuseEmail: abuse@godaddy.com, be sure to include all references they would need to confirm the copyright abuse in the first email, you should report to gpl-violations.org but don’t hope too much from them. Many countries have the possibility to search for (home) phone numbers of people on the web, call night time, doesn’t cost anything until Andrew picks up the phone, by the time he does that, you have already hung up :)

Making noise with abuse@godday.com may work, a long shot to get the site shut down maybe, Andrew may choose to do that anyway if his neighbours nag him about it :)

Mikey

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.