Flamingo NXT some free new Probe and oceanwater?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Formshifter, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Formshifter

Formshifter Senior Designer

Does anyone have some good probes or tropical seawatermaterial i could use for my Flamingo nXt materials library?

regards John

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Formshifter here from a previous post is one way to get different water surfaces and colours. I have added the two materials for the water in the picture.
    The method I use to create water surfaces is as follows. I actually create two surfaces one on top of another, the top surface I create a free-form surface so I can put waves into it if needed. This surface I make a Clear glass like surface with a little amount of tint in it. To this surface I also added a bump map or in the case of the software that I use, flamingo, a procedural bump map called “rubble” I then adjust that to get the effect I want. Putting the bump on the surface makes those Wonderful little wavelets that reflect their surroundings. The second surface I make a flat plane and position below the top surface at a distance/depth at about the keel line of the boat being rendered. This surface I colour in a shade of blue to suit what I need but it can be any colour at all. The beauty I find With this method is it allows light to penetrate to a depth below the water surface so that you can get shadowing and silhouettes below the water surface, by adjusting the depth of the second surface you can adjust the amount/depth of light penetration. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. Formshifter

Formshifter Senior Designer

Thanks a lot for this explanation,

I suppose i can get the freeform surface as wild as i want ....

I will give it a try these days. Sounds pretty simple and i suppose the effects are nice. Especially the shade effect sounds appealing.

Thanks again

John