Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Designer

Rep: 10 Posts: 47
Flamingo NXT some free new Probe and oceanwater?

Does anyone have some good probes or tropical seawatermaterial i could use for my Flamingo nXt materials library?

regards John

Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 AM

Rep: 571 Posts: 659
Formshifter here from a previous post is one way to get different water surfaces and colours. I have added the two materials for the water in the picture.
The method I use to create water surfaces is as follows. I actually create two surfaces one on top of another, the top surface I create a free-form surface so I can put waves into it if needed. This surface I make a Clear glass like surface with a little amount of tint in it. To this surface I also added a bump map or in the case of the software that I use, flamingo, a procedural bump map called “rubble” I then adjust that to get the effect I want. Putting the bump on the surface makes those Wonderful little wavelets that reflect their surroundings. The second surface I make a flat plane and position below the top surface at a distance/depth at about the keel line of the boat being rendered. This surface I colour in a shade of blue to suit what I need but it can be any colour at all. The beauty I find With this method is it allows light to penetrate to a depth below the water surface so that you can get shadowing and silhouettes below the water surface, by adjusting the depth of the second surface you can adjust the amount/depth of light penetration. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Flamingo NXT some free new Probe and oceanwater?-tropical-water.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip nxt water files.zip (15.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Senior Designer

Rep: 10 Posts: 47
Thanks a lot for this explanation,

I suppose i can get the freeform surface as wild as i want ....

I will give it a try these days. Sounds pretty simple and i suppose the effects are nice. Especially the shade effect sounds appealing.

Thanks again

John