Export .dxf file from Autship to Hydromax

Discussion in 'Software' started by ivansalasj, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hi,

I have to export a .dxf hull form to hydromax, can anybody give me some hints in which is the best was to do this?

When i import the dxf file into maxsurf i only get a set of markers, any suggestions.

Thanks for your help

Ivan

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

A dxf file is simply a wireframe of polylines, it doesn't contain actual surfaces, which is what Maxsurf and Hydromax need.

Autoship is able to export NURBS surfaces through the IGES format which can be read directly into Maxsurf. I would contact Autoship technical support to find out how to do this. Unlike Maxsurf, which includes its IGES import and export functions as part of the base program, I believe they come at additional cost with Autoship, so you may need to purchase their IGES export module.

regards

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your help, i have one more question about maxsurf, is it possible to change the zero point, or the origin of the coordinate system, since i have imported a dxf file and i need the the zero point at the base line.

Thaks again

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

It is straightforward to change the zero point, but first you need to create a Frame of Reference, which contains Fore Perpendicular, Aft Perpendicular, Amidships, Datum Waterline and Baseline. Once you have created this you can set your zero point to any combination of the horizontal and vertical reference points.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.