Excel sheet for required Bollard Pull calculation

Discussion in 'Software' started by premshankar, Apr 9, 2013.

1. premshankar

premshankar Junior Member

Hi everyone!

I have developed an excel sheet which can be used to calculate the required Bollard Pull for towing a Barge. This can help in selection of an appropriate Tug for a tow. It provides options for calculations using three methods: OPL Guidelines, BV Rules and Empirical formula.

Please find attached the excel sheet. I have verified the sheets, but it will be great if you can test the calculations and provide me some feedback.

< attached excel spreadsheet removed by request of OP >

I am also developing a software for Bollard Pull calculations, and it should be out soon.

Best regards

Prem Shankar

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  2. CWTeebs

CWTeebs AnomalyGenerator

A quick overview of the Excel sheet leads me to believe you put a considerable amount of effort into implementing, organizing and documenting this work, and that this is possibly rather useful on industrial projects. To that end, good work, and thank you for sharing.

When you say "BV," which according to your sheet means "Bureau Veritas," is this the same as Det Norske Veritas?

You say you have "verified the sheets." What do you mean, exactly?

With whom are you affiliated? "http://www.thenavalarch.com/" (?)

3. premshankar

Hi CWTeebs

Thanks for your observations.

BV is different from DNV. BV is HQ in France while DNV is Norwegian.

By 'verified the sheets' I mean that I have test run them for a few actual vessels, and checked that the formulas used are correct and working fine.

Neither me nor my website is affiliated to any organisation, but I am a Naval Architect doing some work on my own, developing resources for Naval Architects, since I find very few resources online catering to our community.

I will soon develop a software for Bollard pull calculations and release it shortly.

Best regards

Prem Shankar

4. CWTeebs

CWTeebs AnomalyGenerator

Hi premshankar,

Thanks for the concise reply, and again for sharing.

You say you are going to develop software for bollard pull calculations. Is it still going to be freeware?

Do you develop any other Naval Architecture software?

Thanks for the clarification on BV vs DNV (I've worked with the latter but not the former, although I could have probably just looked this up online myself :p ).

5. premshankar

The software for Bollard Pull shall be developed as an online software which can be run through the website(no desktop application). It will be free for a limited period upon launch.

For the other software I have developed for freeboard calculation, please see the thread:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/design-software/software-freeboard-calculation-45879.html

I have quite a few other softwares in pipeline. Shall update in due course.

Besides, I am developing training videos for some popular industry softwares. The first one is GHS. You can get a peek here:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/design-software/ghs-training-videos-46660.html

Best regards

1 person likes this.
  6. michaeljc

michaeljc Senior Member

I am very interested in getting this spreadsheet but it is not downloading properly - only getting the first worksheet. Can you send as attach to my email please. I have a real world application:

Barge: LWL 12 m
    Beam: 7.5 m
    Shape: Flat bottom, rectangular
    Rounded bow
    Displacement: (gross) : 60,000 kg
    Draft@ Max load: 1.1 m
    Wanting to know bollard pull requirement and BHP tug @ various hull speeds. Guessing around 500 BHP min

7. premshankar

Thanks for your interest. Will send you the excel sheets soon.

8. michaeljc

michaeljc Senior Member

Indian maritime rules

Are you registed with the Indian Maritime authority to approve new hull designs?

9. Murdock86

Murdock86 Junior Member

Thank you, Prem Shankar. I have some interest although this is not my area. My colleages are looking at this spreadsheet. Will come back if they have some comments on it. :)

10. premshankar

Dear micheljc

We are not registered with the Indian Maritime Authority. We are just working towards making more content available online for the maritime field.

11. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Thanks a lot Mr. Prem Shankar, you spreadsheet looks excellent... good job...

12. akhilsvnair

akhilsvnair Naval Architect

Thank you very much prem shankar....Your spread looks good and working fine,.....from where did you take your bachelor Degree...Jus for my information if you dont mind please....any way many thanks once again.

13. premshankar

All

Thank you all for the interest shown in the spreadsheet. I hope it was useful for some of you. I also thank everyone for their feedbacks and suggestions on the spreadsheet. I am working on improving the spreadsheet and also adding one more method (DNV) for Bollard Pull calculation. The complete spreadsheet will soon be available for download through the website www.thenavalarch.com

Best regards

14. premshankar

The spreadsheet is now uploaded on the Website, with the additional DNV method added.

Best regards

15. premshankar

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.