Effective Wind Speed,Lift,Drag in VPP Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by farjoe, Sep 4, 2010.

1. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

Hi,

I am trying to understand the workings of a VPP software graciously provided for free in excel format by Paul Kotzebue in this link:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/design-software/vpp-software-comparison-33145.html

In it there are several concepts I have yet to decipher. One of them is the concept of Effective Wind Speed, Effective Drag, Effective Lift.

Can somebody lead me in the right direction pl.?

2. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

Effective Wind Speed is the apparent wind velocity corrected for heel angle.

Effective Drag is the aerodynamic drag component using the Effective Wind Speed.

Effective Lift is the areodynamic lift component using the Effective Wind Speed.

See also pages 162 and 163 of Principles of Yacht Design, third edition.

1 person likes this.
  3. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

Thanks for your quick reply,

I actually missed the reference to the "Heeling Angle" cell. I have version one of the book and there, it is referred to on page 153 so I actually missed that as well.

It seems quite a roundabout way to account for heel angle. I wonder if just taking the COS of the Nominal sail area would have sufficed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.