Easy-to-use CAD program for designing hulls?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Seafarer24, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

I have the hull-form program, but it can only do so much before you have to start building models to see what things will really look like. I have some CAD programs that I've been playing with, but I either can't figure them out AT ALL, or I can only get them to do some rather basic shapes and not complex curves like you find on a boat. Has anyone found a program like HULLS that can give you solid-object rendering? Better yet- an add-on that can use the .hul files to produce solid-object rendering?

2. Andy P

Andy P Junior Member

Hullform is good - nice and simple and easy to use, but you need to know what you want first. Manual fairing is best instead of auto that changes the shapes a bit.
    There are some versions that show 3D shapes Ok.
    It's a bit basic, but it does the job!

3. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

I'm entirely satisfied with HullForm's ability to shape a hull, I'm just disenchanted with it's ability to show the hull as a solid object. All it does is basic wire modeling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.