Develop plates in Freeship

Discussion in 'Software' started by Newhill, Jan 11, 2014.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Just a suggestion.
    The line of knuckle should also open a little

Attached Files:

2. Newhill

Newhill Junior Member

Tangoau, good luck with your project.
    This is what happens when your beam gets a little wider then expected.
    Door post has to go out. ;)

Happy midsummer to you all! (big holiday here in Sweden today) Cheers!

Attached Files:

3. Ingolf

Ingolf Junior Member

Hello to Sweden, Newhill. I have been working for good old Saab Automobile back in the 90's and been there in Trollhättan quite often. Nice country!

Congratulations to your project. It's really always encouraging to see when a screen design becomes reality. Great job, mate.

I am currently dealing with the planning of some details for a 22 feet console boat - the hull also modelled with freeship. Not developable at all because there is a lot of flare in the bow and a tumblehome astern, but i'm going with strip diagonal planking finally.

Anyhow i wonder more how you ensured the fairing of your hull. I was thinking about lofting full size before cutting the stations - but i would be thanksfull for any other tricks that you might have used for your project.

Below there is a sketch of my design. Greetings from Austria!

Attached Files:

4. Tangoau

Tangoau Junior Member

Hi Newhill
    Looks like you have been busy over your holiday. Look forward to seeing some more photos of your boat as it emerges through the door.:D

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Ouch! I had to do a last minute design change when I figured out my 8' wide garage door was only 7' 10 1/2". I had to adjust my max beam in by 2". :eek:

6. Tangoau

Tangoau Junior Member

Knuckle

Hi Tansl

Thanks for your suggestion, made perfect logic to me. I split both the shear and the chine between the bow and the first/last station, moved the points out and forward to give more curvature. Freeship developability said NO!!!!!:rolleyes:

Even just splitting either the shear or chine and not moving - Freeship dvelopability said NO!!!::confused:

Please refer to attached image.

Attached Files:

7. Newhill

Newhill Junior Member

It's hard to see clearly in your picture, but i think you have to make an edge between the new points.

Quote from the Freeship manual.
    1.2 Faces.
    A face is a little piece of the entire surface (sometimes also called a patch) and is usually defined
    with 4 points.
    In some areas it is desirable to have less (or even more) points, but generally the best results are
    obtained when most of the faces consist of 4 points.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Tangoau,
    it's hard for me to see how to fix the problem with just that image. I'm more used to working with a 2D body lines plan, then use to create a solid or surface model.
    I think that lines 1 and 2, in attached figured, should be more divergent (not parallel). Try changing a bit the stem profile.
    Anyway, on ships is very normal to have no developable surfaces, and there are methods for developing them with sufficient accuracy. This is usually not a serious problem except perhaps in costrucción of hull with plywood
    The smoothing of hull surfaces of a boat is not a simple process, it requires great experience and patience. In this forum there are professionals such TheLoftman that could advise you much better than me.

Attached Files:

• bow.jpg
      bow.jpg
      File size:
      6.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Tangoau

Tangoau Junior Member

Real time tutorial

Newhill

You are on the money! Split the edges and add a new edge between the two new points/nodes and bingo back to green!!!:D

No pressure but how is the boat extraction going?:cool:

Attached Files:

10. Tangoau

Tangoau Junior Member

Teach a man how to fish!

Thank you all for the guidance - big results.
    Developablity is looking very good - a lot of green and very little red.
    Thought I would also make a few improvements to the hull, increased the V a little, and added chine flats, with no affect on "developablity".

Attached Files:

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Excellent result and a good-looking boat. :)
    Take care of CoG position and volume distribution, if you haven't already.

13. Tangoau

Tangoau Junior Member

Polycad & bulkheads

Now that the hull form is looking OK I thought it was time to start work on the bulkheads. Exported a dxf 3D mesh from freeship and imported into polycad, all worked fine.

Polycad appears to have a convenient facility to generate bulkheads - or so I thought! I have generated the rough bulkhead surfaces but I cannot work out how to trim them down to the hull section at the position of the bulkhead!:confused:

Have I miss-understood the function - any ideas on how it should be done? I also have a student copy of Autocad which I am far more familiar with but Polycad appeared to have an easy option??:mad:

I had started using freeship to generate bulkheads but it is a very crude and laborious process of extruding edges and creating nodes and edges to co-inside with edges in the hull form, then generating intersection points, creating knuckle points and trimming back, so I thought Polycad may be a better option.

Any help or opinions greatly appreciated as Polycad Tutorials are not readily available and I could not locate anything on this topic.:(

Attached Files:

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you know AutoCAD, you can use the cross sections at each bulkhead position to create a "region" (REGION AutoCAD´s object) and export it as dxf to any other application. That "region" will have exactly the perimeter of your bulkhead and not needed the trim command

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

15. Ingolf

Ingolf Junior Member

Why just don't position the stations in Freeship and then export it as a 3d polylines dxf file? From that point i use Rhino to work on the details and it is going quite fine...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.